Her first project

/ Her first project #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
My girlfriend saw me working on a project and said she wanted to learn to weld. She's never worked with metal or built anything from scratch.

I have a few pieces of metal lying about with nothing planned for them.

I explained the basics of an arc welder and what to expect. I only have the one helmet, so I wasn't able to demonstrate to her what will happen.

She was scared at first, but didn't let it stop her. After about ten minutes she was running a decent bead across the flat stock.

Attachments

• 581033-Sign 001.jpg
    581033-Sign 001.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 2,291
   / Her first project
Now that she's got some confidence with the the welder and can handle the stick, it's time to move on.

I gave her my magnet and told her to put two pieces of metal together to form an "L" shape. Next she added two more pieces until she had the walls of a box.

Here she is welding to her hearts content.

Attachments

• 581037-Sign 003.jpg
    581037-Sign 003.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 2,177
   / Her first project #3  
Darn you Walker! I almost got my eyes burned looking at the second picture. I had no idea a picture on the Internet could be that intense.

I'm going to come up there one of these days and see just what all is going on. Bulldozers, ladies welding schools, who knows whats next??? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Bill Tolle

/ Her first project
She spent about two hours getting the four pieces together, but they are solid. The welding was more fun then she expected it to be, but that was nothing compared to grinding.

She absolutely loved the four inch grinder!!! She spent over an hour working on the four outside corners of her square.

She's pretty exited about creating her first project. She was asking some questions about adding rebar to it and different ideas of creating legs for it, but she hasn't decided on what she's making yet.

Next weekend she'll spend some more time on it.

Attachments

• 581044-Sign 009.jpg
    581044-Sign 009.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,688
   / Her first project #5  
Eddie,

Great to see someone picking up a new skill.

Might be a good idea for her to cover her arms completely though if she is going to be welding much... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No experience with it myself, but I heard that one can get a pretty bad "sunburn" from the UV, and that it just hurts and does not turn into a tan afterwards...

By the way, just yesterday my daughter was asking me about learning to weld. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Her first project #6  
Maybe her first project should be a nice welding table. Working on the ground isn't the most comfortable.

I'm impressed. My wife doesn't like things that can burn you and make sparks so metal working is out. When I got my plasma cutter my wife wanted to give it a try. I told her what to do and she started cutting. I hadn’t noticed that she was wearing shorts and she got sprayed with thousands of tiny sparks. She is pretty afraid of that plasma cutter since.

Eric

/ Her first project
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Darn you Walker! I almost got my eyes burned looking at the second picture. I had no idea a picture on the Internet could be that intense. )</font>

Bill,

It took five pictures of her welding with the camera over my shoulder and me facing the oposite direction, I was aiming by luck. Getting it on my fifth try was better then I'd hoped for!!!

/ Her first project
Henro,

Your right about the burns you can get from arc welding. I used to get some really bad ones in high school welding in a tank top. But that's nothing, I also used to wear flip flops while welding!!!!

I'll have her wear one of my old sweatshirts next time.

Thanks.

/ Her first project #9  
Wow, she is ahead of me. After three weeks of classes (the first week just transferring to the right class) all I can do decent is weld "T"s. After seeing all the little burned holes in my long sleeve welding shirt you might want to give her one of yours to wear. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

edit: Oops we were both thinking the same thing, you just type faster.

/ Her first project #10  
I've got a fence project in my future, bring her up to Bowie and I'll put her to work. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif