Flail Mulcher

/ Flail Mulcher #1  

tom9961

Tractor
L5030HSTC
I am looking for some help with the hydraulics on my tractor. I would like to use a (flail mulcher), I think that is what you call them. You can see what I mean at this site http://www.brush-technology.com/products.htm. They have a unit that would work on my PTO however, if I could somehow boost my hydraulic flow from the 9.8gpm range to the 25-35gpm range I coild fit one of these on my FEL and cut in front of my tractor. It would sure be less wear and tear on the tractor that way, I think!

Help nobody down in the Kubato owners forum seems to have any ideas. Everybodys just reading this post.

What about it. Any ideas! Could this be done.

/ Flail Mulcher #2  
You will need a PTO driven hydraulic pump and 1 to 1 1/4" lines to the front of the FEL. At 21 gallons per minute, you will need a 21 gallon reservoir for the hydraulic oil, and a high volume valve plumbed in-line. There is a Prince PTO pump that will put out 40 gmp, but it will require a 1000 rpm, 21 spine PTO takeoff.

I don't think there will be less stress on your tractor using a hydraulic pump to drive an FEL based device. You will have a 1700 pound vibrating monster at the end of your FEL arms. I think it would be less stress to use the PTO version.

/ Flail Mulcher
Thanks Doc

Thats on the line with what I was thinking.

The reason I thought it would be less wear and tear on the front is that this stuff holly, privot hedge and sweetgum is so thick and tides together with all kinds of morning glory vine and etc, that it entaagles my tractor when I try going through it forward. Then all the limbs and vines compete to punch, rip and tear off any and everthing on my tractor.

I even have access to a JD650 dozer with a root rake. Now it would push right through but I was so entangled I could not see were I was going at all. I could only back out and try a different direction when I bumped into my larger trees. I was afraid that bumping the tree, tearing at the bark along with the root rake ripping roots that I would kill a lot of the laege oaks I wish to keep.

I am tring to open up this area without damaging my larger oaks. Plus it would be a lot easer driving forward instead of backwards with my heavy duty woods brush bull rotery cutter.

What about it anybody else have any ideas of how I could clear this stuff.

/ Flail Mulcher #5  
Although I am one to use any excuse to buy a tool, I would suggest hiring it out for the initial clearing, then use a rotary mower to keep it under control in the future.

/ Flail Mulcher #6  
Tom,

Hard to say without actually seeing it. If its mostly brush that the bush hog can handle except for the occasional small tree, I like to back in with the bush hog mowing up to the trees that stop me, chain saw those trees, then mow again until the next bunch of trees. Not nearly as much fun as your plan but at least you don't have to wade too far into the jungle. I also bought one of those Stihl telescoping pruning chain saws that help. If you don't mind the stump cut being slightly angled, you don't have to bend over to cut the trees and you can also get the overhanging limbs that keep you from backing in as far as possible.

That said, I'd still like to have one of those flail attachments. Did you get a price?

John

/ Flail Mulcher
JMC

Yea I did. The one that would fit my PTO was 13000.00 plus shipping. I think around 1700lbs. One I could buy and maybe rent a high flow Skid Steer would run around 20000.00.

But it would be a blast to go ripping in there with one of these puppies. Whoo we yea!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You got the backing in first right, I got a woods Brush Bull 6000 that will really do a number on that stuff. But backing in first is the only way I can keep from really beating up the tractor. That would still be the problem with one of those mulchers hung on my PTO. The Problem, 30-40 acres. Thats a lot of backing up! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Really would like to find a affordable way to do it in a forward gear. You know some little something I could justify to the wife.

What about a front PTO is that possable with the Kubota?

/ Flail Mulcher #8  
Hard to believe those things cost about as much as the the tractor...

The thing to me about using that on your fel arms is visiblity of stuff you may want to avoid. Less of a problem on a skid steer where its practically at your feet. A little worse on a PTO but at least your angle of view is acceptable. But way out there on a fel where you can't see what's in the brush?

/ Flail Mulcher #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">(

What about it anybody else have any ideas of how I could clear this stuff.

)</font>
Joe The Old Welder always advocates using a TORCH.. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Flail Mulcher #10  
have you thought about adapting the brush hog for use on the front? I'm envisioning a quick attach mount, float setting and a hydraulic motor.