What kind of Rods to weld with a 110 welder

/ What kind of Rods to weld with a 110 welder #1  

DaMadman

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
Kinda new to the whole welding thing just want to wel together a couple pieces of angle iron anyone got any suggestions on a few rods that might work well with a 110 welder?

/ What kind of Rods to weld with a 110 welder #2  
You can weld with a 6011 rod in most any welder and it's a good rod to practice with. I don't know how many amps your 110 welder is capable of but you probably don't want to use anything larger than 1/8" rods.

TBone

/ What kind of Rods to weld with a 110 welder
Thanks, Can I get those at a Lowes Store, you think?

BTW I think it goes to 100 amps but I am not totally positive on that, I borrowed it from my grandfather, he gave me some rods with it but they have been laying around in his shop forever and I think they probably have moisture damage. I was playing around last night and could get a bead but it was on again off again, But once I got the rod good and hot and about half burned away it would work pretty good.

I suspect a lot of the issues I was having last night is my lack of experience and the rods are old

/ What kind of Rods to weld with a 110 welder #5  
Maybe, I know home depot has a very limited supply. Some parts stores I frequent have some also.

/ What kind of Rods to weld with a 110 welder #6  
I think a 1/8 rod is going to just stick and make an attractive buzz from all but the highest amp 110v welders.

My small buzz box secifies 1/16 or 5/64 rods.. these can be picked up at wallmart or TSC.

Soundguy

I will keep that in mind when looking tonight on my way home.

All input, Comments and tips are welcome, like I said before I am new to this and am just piddling around right now but the reason I am trying to learn is to put together a couple adapters for some things on the tractor.

If all else fails I will take the materials to someone that has a "real" welder but I figured this would give me something to do and if I get decent at it I might even pick up a welder so I won't have to borrow my grandfathers.

/ What kind of Rods to weld with a 110 welder #8  
I'm with SoundGuy TSC has a real good selection of rod. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wish they had one of those Tractor Supply stores near me... The closest thing to that we have around me in MD is Southern States and even if they had rods they are closed by the time I get off work.