Extractor Fan

/ Extractor Fan #1  

Rgillard

Silver Member
Tractor
Fiat 82-94
Well guys,

I have a problem with welding fumes when welding in my garage. I usually weld outside on the driveway but recently due to weather have been forced inside. Have any of you come up with a cheap method of building an extraction fan for removing the fumes. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Regards,
Ronan G

/ Extractor Fan #2  
Source capture is the way to go. You need a beefy fan capable of moving a fair amount of air, but at a pretty good pressure. A standard panel fan ( like an airplane prop ) is not the pick. You want a squirrel cage type. Use some good flexible duct and a scoop fabricated to be positioned to 'suck' the smoke. The rate of airflow need varies based on the type of material you're welding, the size of the welds, and the type of welding ( arc, mig, tig...etc. ).

You must remember..air out needs air in. Without a way fro the air to get into the garage ( open door ) you'll lower the effectiveness of the system.

I have some data somewhere and will try to post some more when I find it.

Try a web search and you'll probably get some US Government site hits like O.S.H.A. They're maybe overkill, but it'll give you some info.

/ Extractor Fan #3  
Ronan
An old oil furnace blower (squirrel cage ) fan would be an ideal solution.
It will want something like a 6 X 12" hole in a wall for exhausting and some ducting (tin or plywood) to gather the fumes.
You will also have to open a window or crack open the door to allow in the 'replacement air'.
I have often seen those squirrel cage blower at flea markets or yard sales for, generally in the $25 range.

/ Extractor Fan #4  
Check a AC shop. you can get these fans out of old mobile home type AC's for next to nothing