Bucket Teeth, How Many ?

/ Bucket Teeth, How Many ? #1  

GuglioLS

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, 1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee, Komatsu Bulldozer
I am building a tooth bar for a Koyker 160 loader. Going on a 35 HP tractor.
The bucket is 60" wide. I purchased one lot of 8 teeth on eBay and they sent me 9 teeth !!!
/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Question to all the experts - (or not)
Should I use all 9 teeth ?, or 8 ? or 7 ?

Attached is a picture with all 9 setting in place, the spacing is about 7.5" apart on center.

What do you all think - I value your opinions.
Thank you,
Larry G

Attachments

• 600792-Bucket teeth.jpg
    600792-Bucket teeth.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,009
   / Bucket Teeth, How Many ? #2  
Did you get the teeth also?

/ Bucket Teeth, How Many ?
Oh yes Ive got the teeth. They are high quality.
The teeth mount with a 2 part pin that has rubber bonded between the two pieces of steel. I have not yet installed them onto the shanks. I wanted to weld then paint before pinning on the teeth.

Attachments

• 600836-Tooth.jpg
    600836-Tooth.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 657
   / Bucket Teeth, How Many ? #4  
Larry,

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Should I use all 9 teeth ?, or 8 ? or 7 ? )</font>

I'd say go for the 9 !!! Having one or two additional won't make any significant difference in the amount of force concentrated on those teeth - it will still be much greater than on the entire cutting edge of the bucket.

I don't recall how many are on mine (Kubota 60" bucket on a B2910) but I do recall having Markham add one more than they normally would have included when I had them build my toothbar. If I get motivated to journey up to the shed today in this cold I'll have a look and see how many there are on it.

BTW, did you ever find a source for that DOM tubing you were looking for ?

I was up at the local steel place here yesterday and picked up a 1' long piece of 3" OD (2" ID) seamless and it wasn't cheap /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Bucket Teeth, How Many ?
Yes I found two local sources for the DOM in Albuquerque, NM.
It is expensive. I purchased 2 feet each of 3 various sizes to have on hand for future projects. I had to re-do my backhoe thumb bracket and used some of the 1.5" O.D. x 1.0" I.D.

Thanks for the feedback on the amount of teeth - I just wasn't sure if more is better.

/ Bucket Teeth, How Many ? #6  
Make sure you leave space for anything like removable FEL forks you might want to install between the teeth. If you don't ever expect to have anything like that, then I wouldn't worry.

But, let me play the "devil's advocate." The normal number of teeth on a 60" bucket is 6 or 7. If teeth 10" apart (side-to-side) cause the soil in between to break up, the extra teeth and less spacing are wasted effort. That would be the point of diminishing returns in my opinion. It probably wouldn't hurt, but why wear out two extra teeth when 7 will dig just as well? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Bucket Teeth, How Many ? #7  
GuglioLS,

Just a small point, but since you are making your own tooth bar, I thought I'd mention it.

You want the teeth to be parallel with the bottom of the bucket. This may or may not be obviouse to you. I only mention it because someone in the past who made their own toothbar did not do this and wished he had... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Bucket Teeth, How Many ? #8  
i have six on my 48" bucket so i would think 9 on a 60" would be ok , but just make sure they are straight and even(paraell) to the bucket edege

/ Bucket Teeth, How Many ? #9  
Here's a pic of my Koyker 160 with toothbar.

Attachments

• 601515-2-23-05 pentax 005.jpg
    601515-2-23-05 pentax 005.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 730
   / Bucket Teeth, How Many ? #10  
Haven't had the opportunity to dig dirt with it yet, just scraping ice and piling snow. Another pic.

Attachments

• 601519-2-23-05 pentax 004.jpg
    601519-2-23-05 pentax 004.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 553