Need to build a ballast box

/ Need to build a ballast box #1  

Mikek101

Tractor
JD/4410
I recently had to remove my backhoe from my JD4410 and found it was much easier to plow snow without having the extra length.

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the best way to build a ballast box that could fit on my 3 point hitch? I need the weight on the back when plowing.

I've seen some tractors with blocks of concrete and some with boxes. Not sure which is better.

/ Need to build a ballast box #2  
This isn't exactly a ballast box, but I have used a drawbar and a 50 gallon drum with the top cut off set on it and strapped to the tractor. During the winter I would fill it with a sand/salt mix from the town barn so I had the weight and some sand too. I have even used the drum method with a lid and filled with water. This was handy cause I had to transport the tractor and just filled it where I had to use it, then dumped it out when I was done. Right now I'm needing to make something with a ball mount and weight so I can move trailers around and still have the ballast.

/ Need to build a ballast box #3  
You could build a box using a carryall as a frame. Depending on how you did it, you could take the box off and still have use of the carryall for longer stuff.

/ Need to build a ballast box #4  
Somewhere back in time on TBN, someone posted a thread where he cast a big concrete block around a $20 drawbar. This was as basic as you get, but looked like a very good idea to me. This gave him the weight and the flexability. It was quite creative. If you do this, you can also put some PVC tubing in it when you cast it for carrying various tools or chains or whatever. You can also shape the weight box in whatever form you want (as long as it's legal).

Cliff

/ Need to build a ballast box #5  
My welder made me a weight box from scrap cutoffs he had around the shop. 20" of 135lbs plf I beam on it's side, some 3/8" plate, square tube, 7/8" bar stock and viola 300 lbs later a compact box. Add some free barbell plates from the local dump and you can hit 500 lbs no problem placed in the open top. Never even put the extra 200 lbs in. I used it all winter with the front mt. snowblower and only used the 4wd once. The box only sticks past the end of the 3ph arms by 14" so I don't have to worry about my rear end as much in tight places (the tractor that is) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif The carry-all sticks out 3-0 so turning around requires more room.

/ Need to build a ballast box #6  
I built a carrier foe 55gal plastic drum with 3' hose thru bung and a gate valve. Fill with water and you've got 450lbs or so. I water far off fruit trees with it too. The valve is mounted low and water siphons out to empty when opened. Take out the drum and you've got a carryall.

/ Need to build a ballast box #7  
The one I have from my 4600, is a solid concrete block (with rebar) formed around three point mounts on interior frame. weighs approx 750#. Worked well, don't need it anymore. If your near south central PA you can have it. If your not, maybe this will give you an idea for constructing one.

/ Need to build a ballast box #8  
Here is the cast concrete version from an earlier thread. This one is more versatile than you might need, but you could do a simplifed version.

Concrete Ballast box

Cliff