Flux wire welder

/ Flux wire welder #1  

RHughes

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TN65
Has anyone ever used one of those flux wire welders for light welding? I have a stick welder and have used MIG welders with great success, but I'm unfamiliar with the flux wire models.
Can they produce a bead as clean as a MIG on light work?

I was wondering if it would be worth getting one of the small, cheap 115V models for sheet metal work. I don't do much of that and it doesn't seem worth it to sink $400-$600 into a bigger MIG unit with gas on top of that.

Thanks for the input! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Flux wire welder #2  
The flux core will not be as clean as a gas MIG. It will be easier to use on sheet metal than your stick welder though.

/ Flux wire welder #3  
I have one, Its the weld pak 100. I am no expert, not even an accomplished hobbist but it works. I have welded 18 gauge sheet metal and got some pretty nice results. Is it as clean as gas, on occasion but not real often /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif OE maybe. If I were going to do it again I would and will get the Miller 210 it will let me weld shetmetal and 3/8? in a single machine. I would not get rid of the 110 though, I plug it in and I can weld anywhere with a 15A ckt.

/ Flux wire welder #4  
I have a Hobart 135. It is an 120V unit. It came with flux core. It also came with the regulator and can use the shielding gas. I have been meaning to get out get the gas, but the flux core has worked so well that it has fell down on my list of priorities.

Depends on what you want to do. I doubt the flux core will ever look as nice, but for general use, it is great.

/ Flux wire welder #5  
I, too, have a Hobart 115V with the flux wire spools. I agree with the cleanliness of the surrounding area. Gas is far better. I have welded 1/4" stuff with it and it does a good job. What's especially neat is to be able to weld where there may be a breeze or in a windy condition. There were two instances that caused me to carry the 6000W Generator and that welder to the field to cure some illnesses. Worked great for that!

/ Flux wire welder #6  
The secret with flux core is the same as with stick. You want a good puddle that's doing work.

One time I had a bunch of small parts to make and a friend who really likes repetitive work. I hate making two of anything. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So I set up the suitcase mig for him. But I did the sample with stick and sixty thirteen. So the weld looked like it had been done with a machine.

When I came back that afternoon he had done all of his where they looked like mine after he'd wire brushed them.

I wouldn't have a one ten volt welder on a bet. The two twenty version is like comparing a Hummer on steroids to a Club Car. They can do so much more. The tips seem to last longer and the welds are cleaner.

Keep in mind you don't need a gas shield when you're using flux core. No sense in getting a gas shield all funky and chewed up when you don't have to. Keep you tip off the base metal and run hot. Make a puddle and then make it work.

/ Flux wire welder #7  
I have a Miller 250x. Far from cheap, but I think they were going for low teens when I bought it. I once tried some flux wire without much success. After welding with gas, I'll say that if you can swing it, that is the way to go. You will also be into a better gun etc at this level. I don't do production work, and actually seldom use it, but when I need it, it is there.

/ Flux wire welder #8  
I have a Lincoln Weldpak 100. No it is not a bib MiG unit and it won't weld everything a big unit will, but it will do more than sheet metal.

I built this pulverizer with my flux welder and it has held up great. Not the first broken weld.

/ Flux wire welder #9  
I have a Lincoln 125 (Gas shield) that runs on 120V and have successfully welded 1/4" stuff, no problem. The gas does make for a clean weld tho, and also allows you to weld other materials, like stainless and aluminum (although you have to change the wire shield to run aluminum, so I rarely do that - plus TIG does so much better.) I like the portability of it, but readily admit that it won't cut it on the heavier stuff you usually find around the farm.

/ Flux wire welder #10  
I've got a Miller 130 110v wirefeed and I use both gas and flux. I even get into some stainless on occasion. If you make sure you're getting the penetration on both pieces you can make a pretty strong weld. I welded an extension on the top of my woodsplitter wedge and put a chunk of wood sideways against it and gave it everything the ram had and it held. This was after forgetting to bring my gas bottle and welding with solid wire and no gas! Not too pretty. I prettied it up later with some flux wire and a grinder.