FEL Boom Pole

/ FEL Boom Pole
jpr - Thanks for the heads up. I assumed anything raised to that height would be real unstable. I don't think I'll ever hoist anything to that height, I just wanted to use the reach to unload trucks.

ta - Thanks. It's a truck conversion motorhome, Class 8 tractor with a motorhome box. Tows our 24' trailer effortlessly. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ FEL Boom Pole #12  
Great job! Been thinkin' on making one (add another item to the list.....).

/ FEL Boom Pole #13  
Hi, I know this thread is very old and I'm not sure if the author is still active. My question to 45V is if he bought the hitch receiver? I like it because it goes under support tube under the loader and is long enough that extend towards the end of the loader and has 2 bolts to secure it. Some FEL hitch receiver are not this long. If you did buy it where did you buy it? I don't trust my welding that well so I am thinking just to buy the hitch receiver. Many thanks.

/ FEL Boom Pole #14  
I'm interested in building one to set trusses on walls and sections of a Quanset building and probably other things. I don't want to over build and I like the use of a 2" hitch but it seems that putting it on the front edge of the bucket would place a lot of stress on the cutting edge even with the chains attached to the bucket hooks. I'm thinking the hitch receiver should go inside the back of the bucket with bolts thru the bottom and a brace up the back of bucket and a bolt there as well with a backer plate welded to the outside in the back of the bucket to spread the load across the plate.

Maybe I could talk myself out of using the receiver and just use 3 bolts to attach the boom to the bucket which would remove any slop that might exist between the receiver and the boom. I only have a 5' bucket so the side supports are only 2.5' apart or less and maybe rigid supports would be better set at maybe a 30* angle to the boom. 2" x 2" tube should work fine with the strong back but I want to be able to get it up to at least 18'...so... 7' from the bucket and a 14' boom so I can keep the truss away from the front of the tractor and not so the bucket blocks the end of the boom. Is that boom too long?

What do you folks think?

/ FEL Boom Pole #15  
i turned a ssqa plate into a 3ph adaptor and use my regular rear boom pole on the front. Its so handy having my own crane.lol
Rather than take off my BH i used the box blade on the front last week to level a pad for a pool. looked kind of odd but worked great and was nice not to look ober my shoulder .

/ FEL Boom Pole #16  
I have a heavy duty fork plate and forks on the way and my plan is to put 3 pt mounts on it to use my 3PH snow blower, a boom I made, rake, maybe my box scraper and other stuff too. Did you find it difficult to maintain the right angle to cut or push with the box? I'm guessing you did a lot of "back dragging" with the box.

/ FEL Boom Pole #17  
Just finished my SSQA boom. It's welded to a plate with an upward angle of about 20 degrees and is a 18" piece of 2" outside 1/4" wall that will allow my 3" sq boom to slip over it with a brace to another 2" used for a trailer hitch. Both the 8' and 4' booms will fit over the 2" piece and the 4' fits on the end of the 8' boom, making a 12' boom if needed.

It's alll in the trailer and I"ll take it down to where my tractor is located and will give it a little test tomorrow.

/ FEL Boom Pole #18  
I used a set of pallet forks pushed together. Then a 20' long 4" or 6"? H beam and welded some straps on to hold it to the forks. There's a 3/8" steel plate with a 1/2" hole welded at the mid point and at the end of the beam to hook onto.

IMG_6859.JPG

Remember to take it REAL SLOW with something like this - a 1" movement is magnified 20x at the end of that beam!!!
(not exactly 20x but it's a lot)

/ FEL Boom Pole #19  
I have a heavy duty fork plate and forks on the way and my plan is to put 3 pt mounts on it to use my 3PH snow blower, a boom I made, rake, maybe my box scraper and other stuff too. Did you find it difficult to maintain the right angle to cut or push with the box? I'm guessing you did a lot of "back dragging" with the box.

lost the ability to tilt like when i have it on the back (i have a hyd side link) but the cutting angle is controlled by the bucket curl. it worked great otherwise.

/ FEL Boom Pole #20  
i turned a ssqa plate into a 3ph adaptor and use my regular rear boom pole on the front. Its so handy having my own crane.lol
Rather than take off my BH i used the box blade on the front last week to level a pad for a pool. looked kind of odd but worked great and was nice not to look ober my shoulder .

Did sort of the opposite. When I sold my tractor I still had the 3PH boom pole. Had a QA plate welded to it and now use it all the time on my skid steer.