Setting Up Shop

/ Setting Up Shop #1  

AntrimMan

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HSTF
Let's say, hypothetically, that the missus has been charmed into liberating a few shillings to buy herself a decent welder. She has decided on a Millermatic 210 and will run Co/Ar mix.
She already has a Bridgeport and the various trinkets needed to make it useful. She also has a 14" abrasive cut-off saw, compressed air and 100A single phase 220v and an oxy-acy setup. Period.

She has everyday access to a 6X48 vertical belt sander, vertical and horizontal bandsaws, 6X12 surface grinder and wire edm.

She will be fabricating and installing various attachments for our tractor ranging from welding on bucket hooks to a toothbar to QA pallet forks, perhaps a grapple for the bucket, maybe a thumb for the backhoe, a cab would be nice, and other items over the next fifty years or so.

Without duplicating anything she owns or has access to, what additional items might a simple country girl need?
What would be the order of importance or priority?
She's not going into the business so would name brand quality make a hugh difference?

I know there are a lot of questions above and I sincerely thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to help.
But don't take too long, my birthdays right around the corner. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Thanks, Martin

/ Setting Up Shop #2  
Drill press, get one that will run as slow as you can get. Try for at least 200 RPM or slower for the big holes. Lessee, Cherry Picker, 20-40 ton press, Largeish ball bearing toolboxes, Maybe some air lines for that air compressor to allow drop every 10' or so. For me, I would spring for a 2 post auto lift first off!!

/ Setting Up Shop #3  
Sounds like you're (oops...she's) doin' pretty well already.Lucky Lady there!!Be neat to get her a gift certificate to the used steel place...if ya happen to have one near by.
You might wanna consider a contribution tp BobAid!! It a program set up to help a po'boy in Indiana who's spent a whole lot of future income puttin' up a pole barn.

/ Setting Up Shop #4  
bandsaw cut off saw, automatic welding hood, rip saw, 5" grinder, lathe....

/ Setting Up Shop #5  
Almost sounds like my shop.

Get yourself, or build yourself, a sturdy welding table. Make it as big as you have room for. This will give you a great platform to fab things on. There are plenty of examples on the Miller/Hobart welding forums.

Since you already have a Bridgeport and it's tooling you don't need a drill press.

Sooner or later you will have a need for a lathe. A 12"-15" lathe (like a Monarch or Southbend) with a 36"+ bed would work well. I have a 9" Southbend Model A with a 42" bed and it's a little small for any real heavy duty production work but does just fine for 99% of what I need.

A plasma cutter that will do at least 3/8" steel.

A 185 amp or better TIG welder. I would go with an inverter model.

Finally, tooling, tooling, tooling. Clamps, magnets, locking grip pliers, large drill bits 1/2" thru 1"+, milling cutters, end mills, lathe bits, boring bars, accurate levels and other measuring instruments.

/ Setting Up Shop #6  
To go with what you have? A smallist Lincoln / Miller Mig for sheet metal and tacking paired with an old AC/DC buzzbox stick welder.

Cheaper than a big mig or tig and can be setup for both operations.

I can't recommend the plasma unless you're doing a lot of fab work. I have one and it is awesome but it ties up a lot of capital for something the torch can do with some grinding.

I would get a decent drill press, not a huge one since the mill is there. Seting up a mill for drilling is much slower than popping a few holes through on a drill press. Don't need the slow speeds as the mill will do that.

I'd recommend buying some stock of steel! Flat, angle, tubing, etc. It amazing what you use it for once you have welder.

/ Setting Up Shop #7  
Is the shop heated ? A gas heater in the wall or hanging from the ceiling makes it a 365 day place.

An exhaust fan on a timer that will clear the smoke.

A good vise that will open up to 6 or 7" Watch out for chinese crap.

Make sure a compressor is QUIET and big enough.

Air hose and electric cord drops so the floor is not an obstable course.

Serious lighting plus task lighting.

Pipe bender

Steel rack and some hurky shelfing.

Chain hoist on a track.

Carbide chop saw.

Water & fridge.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/ TBN for welders ! Register on "Weld Talk"

/ Setting Up Shop #8  
I recommend you get a lift on rails up in the ceiling. Or cheaper and more practical an engine crane. Saves your back adn is the only tool you need for lifting metal, tyres, engines, anything really.
I love mine, use it all the time.

/ Setting Up Shop #9  
A Hydraulic Press!

/ Setting Up Shop #10  
I would say that she would love a 210 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif She could build those ornamental tin bird houses that she loves and even put a trailer hitch and a sub frame on her sport utv. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I think that she made a good choice