1/2" Impact Wrench

/ 1/2" Impact Wrench #1  

Kiohio

Platinum Member
Tractor
Can't remember....
1/2\" Impact Wrench

Ok guys, I have question.
We are in the process of moving our shop. So there are tools in 2 different places. We need an impact at both places. We have always used air tools. Long story short we want to purchase a 1/2" Electric impact but don't want to invest alot. Has anyone out there used any of the ones from Harbor Frieght or the Cumminstool "tent sale" guys? If so do you use it alot? We normally buy the best we can afford but we have alot invested in air tools now and only need a "temporaoy fix" until we get the new shop compeletely ready.
Thanks in advance,
Kiohio

/ 1/2" Impact Wrench #2  
Re: 1/2\" Impact Wrench

i just bought a set 15 peice set of 1/2" drive deeps socket impact wrench sockets and they seem to be quite hefty, but don't know about the wrench itself, but as it is a temporay need it might be worth a try.

/ 1/2" Impact Wrench #3  

well, I know this is an air tool, but stay away from this one at Harbor Freight it doesn't have the power to remove a standard car lug nut. The sockets are nice, however. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ 1/2" Impact Wrench #4  

I have bought several power tools from harbor freight and since they were cheap I tend not to be easy on them and use them pretty hard and I've yet to have one fail or let me down. The only ones I wouldn't recommend are tools requiring some degree of precision like a miter saw.

/ 1/2" Impact Wrench

We have a nice air one, and we could take it back and forth but we don't have the compressor there yet. That is the major issue. With the electric we don't have to worry about the lack of a compressor.
Thanks again, KO

/ 1/2" Impact Wrench #6  

You don't need to spend an arm and a leg to get an impact wrench that will exceed 600 foot pounds of torque. Harbor Freight offers quite a few and at many different prices. torque wrench

It is important to get a wrench that is suited to do the job that you intend to do. The gun that I use has an adjustable setting, I did purchase it from Harbor, and it has always performed well for me.

A smaller gun might not work as well......

/ 1/2" Impact Wrench #7  

Is getting a decent impact wrench through e-bay or something an option? Use it until your done then re-sell back through e-bay (or put in your personal garage /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

I see some Milwaukee, DeWalt, Ingersoll... all going for under $100 (so far).

/ 1/2" Impact Wrench #8  

I would say a cheap air gun with 200' hose would still be cheaper than the electric. JMO I know some people who have them and they say they work fine but are not used often. I personally had a cordless but never used it enough so I just use a co2 tank most of the time now for quick shots.

/ 1/2" Impact Wrench #9  

We have an DeWalt electric rattle gun at work...it's fine for spinning off lugs (after they have been lossened),driving lags and other small stuff.Maybe it's not made for the heavy work,but it's light in the britches.If you go this route...get a bar too.

/ 1/2" Impact Wrench #10  

You can buy a Farmhand 1/2" air impact wrench for $80 and a 5.0 SCFM "Champ" (Clark) oil type air compressor for around $150, both at TSC. The Farmhand is good for 550 ft-lb and takes only 5.1 SCFM if you run it all the time. You normally only use impact wrenches in short bursts.

This Champ is a champ. It'll maintain its air pressure seemingly forever just sitting there shut off. Has a nice brass water drain valve that does not leak.

Ralph