3 rail split rail supplies

/ 3 rail split rail supplies #1  

Scrounger

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
I noticed the posts about fencing and wanted to start one for me. I need to fence in about an acre and a half with split rail and was wonder if anyone knows how to find a supplier. I'm in eastern PA and have not be able to find any other than installers.

I'm looking for locust posts and hardwood rails.

/ 3 rail split rail supplies #2  
I gather that you want the posts and rails split, for a post and rail fence? Or do you want a split rail fence, which just requires split rails?

Are you interested in splitting, or just buying split?

I'd suggest finding a farmer who might want to make some income from his timber, and thinning at the same time. Or a firewood producer, who might take the higher value in split rails rather than firewood.

I remember how much work it is to split white oak rails. Don't want to go there again, and wouldn't want to pay the price for someone else to charge me for working that hard, either. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 3 rail split rail supplies
I'm not able to do the spliting, I want the buy the posts and the split rails.

/ 3 rail split rail supplies #4  
I do not know how far they will ship but Hoover Fence has been the best pricing in chain link fence that I have found. They carry a large line of different types of fence (including wood and vinyl). Just follow the links on their website for what you are looking for. They are located in Newton Falls, OH (just west of Youngstown, OH)

Kurt

/ 3 rail split rail supplies
KAB

No url was in the link you added to your post. Can you try that one more time.

/ 3 rail split rail supplies #6  
The guy that gave me my 3 rail, split rail fence said he ordered it from Agway a long time ago. He said the 2 rail was a lot easier to get at the time.

/ 3 rail split rail supplies #7  
Quite a bit of that stuff is made near Elkins, WV. I see tractor trailer loads of that stuff daily on the interstates being hauled out of state. I doubt that the posts are locust. I don't see locust posts offered much in the classifieds. I'd consider looking for pressure treated posts. If you really want locust posts for split rail, you'd probably have to find the locust and either make the holes yourself or take them to a plant and have them run the posts through the line.

If you think the plant wouldn't do that, I can tell you I've had a lot of luck getting non-standard items if I can work with a plant's schedule. I've gotten pressure treated oak that way. I've also been able to get a block plant to agree to produce a special batch block during their slow period.

If you work with them, they might work with you.

/ 3 rail split rail supplies #9  
Try Landis Fence Co. in Dublin, PA. (Bucks County)
State Route 313, about an hour drive for you.
I think they make posts & rails at their place.
Dont know their number, just call info to get it.