I finally made a chain guard for the BB60

/ I finally made a chain guard for the BB60 #1  

shvl73

Banned
Tractor
Mahindra 2810HST
I just made this chain guard for my mower. The angle iron was an old bed rail I found laying in the dirt near an old shed at the edge of our property. The chain was some old stuff I had laying around, unfortunately it was two different brands of 1/4". On the left half, it took 6 links, on the right, it took 7. Just don't look too close /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

Attachments

• 624866-100_0264 (600 x 450).jpg
    624866-100_0264 (600 x 450).jpg
    93 KB · Views: 541
   / I finally made a chain guard for the BB60
I think the heat from welding it together made the angle bow about 2" in 5'. Made it a little bit of a pain to put on. Now I'm not sure if I want to take it off to paint it.
The old torn rubber guards are laying in front.

Attachments

• 624867-100_0263 (600 x 450).jpg
    624867-100_0263 (600 x 450).jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 386
I welded some of the cut off angle, on to the back as a spacer.

Attachments

• 624869-100_0262 (600 x 450).jpg
    624869-100_0262 (600 x 450).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 351
My welding ability is extremely limited, to say the least. I got an old, free Marquette stick welder and I've been playing around with it but, I've never welded anything prior to that. Cutting the chain was by far the most tedious part. I have a cheap 18" pair of bolt cutters that wouldn't touch it, so I used my 3" cut-off tool.
A big thank you to all of you guys whose talent at fabricating made me give it a shot.

/ I finally made a chain guard for the BB60 #5  
shvl73,

Looks as functional and good as the one from the factory on my BB60.

Nice work!

/ I finally made a chain guard for the BB60 #6  
WoW
Looks like ~ 50 - 60 pieces of chain. You've got alot of patients to cut all that. If / when I have to do this I think I will go to Home Depot and start using their chain breaker on my own because there is no one around to "help" me. After I get "caught" and then they tell me I can't cut it myself due to "liability" reasons then I can watch them do it for me /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ I finally made a chain guard for the BB60 #7  
shvl73,
Great job on the chain guard. I don't mean to ruin your thread but do you think there was a reason for a rubber guard on the front insead of a chain guard??? I have seen objects go through my chains and fly 30 feet from the mower /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. I think if I would of had a rubber guard on it perhaps it would of made the object drop straight down or who knows, it could of got hit again. The part I don't like is that the chain guard is facing the tractor and operator. Just my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

Bill

Henro,
Thanks for the kind words.
GuglioLS,
I already had the chain and was doing this as close to free as possible. All it cost me was a few $ for the cutting wheels.
kubotabilly,
I'm hoping it actually works, the rubber guard only lasted about a month.
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. )</font> I agree 100%! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif