skidding winch

/ skidding winch #1  

billynphilly

Tractor
kubota,L3400
Sorry I could not figure out how to add this to my previous post.Based on my research and posts here I am now looking for an 8000-11000 lb hydraulic winch.My problem is I only have 6.3 gm on my tractor pump,most require 15 gpm and this would slow my winching speed,I found the mile marker at 3.5 gpm and do not know if it will work at the higher pressure.Or is there a resonably priced alternatve way to do this? Thanks again for all your help.

/ skidding winch #2  
I am not familiar with the Milemaker winch.

What about adding a PTO powered pump? Then you can use the larger winch.

/ skidding winch #3  
higher gpm doesn't mean higher pressure. I would be concerned about putting twice the oil to the motor that it is designed for. By putting a flow divider on the pressure line and the excess oil to the return line it would make it healthy for the winch and create less heat. the flow divider would have to be put before the spool valve to be able to run it in both directions.

/ skidding winch #4  
Some of the milemarkers use about 9 gpm. All that happens with less is the winch goes slower. I find slower to be just fine, the PTO winch I use right now just runs at idle, anything else is too fast.

/ skidding winch #5  
   / skidding winch #6  
I was using the one I built yesterday and I can not believe what that thing will pull. I was winching an elm 18" on the butt up a very steep hill, had about 80' of cable out and was pulling the whole tree. The blade was in the ground about 8" and it was starting to lift the front of the tractor so I backed off cut the log off and took that to the wood pile. Now I got the top winched up as far as I can go but when I start pulling the front wants to lift again so I stop hook seat belt, set throttle and push diff lock, unbeliveable what them little CUT's can do. It is now all bocked, split and in the firewood pile for next winter.

/ skidding winch #7  
i haven't had chance to really try mine out yet.

i just finished bucking and splitting next winter's wood.

soon it will be time to replenish the log pile

Attachments

• 627599-05woodpile.jpg
    627599-05woodpile.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 436
   / skidding winch #8  
You really need to build yourself a woodshed. Nice looking pile.