old two-bottom pull-type plow - modify/alter?

/ old two-bottom pull-type plow - modify/alter? #1  

OldJD

Tractor
John Deere 720
I dragged an old Case plow out of the woods today. I have two ideas for the old beast.

One is to convert the plow to a 3-point attachment. I am contemplating welding a frame to a three-point draw bar and provide a link for the top bar. Has anybody done this sort of a conversion before? Your comments please.

There are no round disks in front of the plow shares of this beast. My buddy thought that was odd. Will I need such disks if set-up for a 3-point hitch? My tractor is a JD 720 with a rated horsepower of almost 60.

The other idea is to cannibalize the plow and make a root/rock pick for my skid loader using the long heavy “j” shaped frame. I would mount it on plate that replaces my bucket and provide a hardened tooth on the end of the cutter and ample gussets at the plate end. I’ve seen a picture of a similar device fashioned out of a thick section of plate and commercially marketed. I hope to pick old tree roots before pulling the stump. Comments?

As for the old plow sections, perhaps these could be welded together to form a spade bucket for the skidder.

/ old two-bottom pull-type plow - modify/alter? #2  
I think you'd be better off selling it to a collector.. or someone who wanted it for what it was... then use the money to buy a 99$ middle buster, or 250$ 2 bottom plow from TSC.. or to pay anywhere from 150$ to 200$ for a vintage ford or dearborn 2 bottom plow.. like a 10-1 I feel the vintage 2 bottom plows from dearborn and ford are far superior to the 2 bottom at TSC.. etc.

Soundguy

/ old two-bottom pull-type plow - modify/alter? #3  
A friend found an old pull type 2 bottom plow in the tree line. He modified it to fit his 3 point about 15 years ago. It was fairly simple (of course, this guy also built his own tractor). You need to remember that the plow doesn't sit level - it leans just a little (to compensate for one side of the tractor being in the furrow). He uses it on his old Furgie with no problems. I'm eyeing an old IH plow now to do the same thing with. Around here those old plows (any make) are so plentiful that collectors don't want them - seems every old farmstead has at least 2 settin' in the trees.

/ old two-bottom pull-type plow - modify/alter? #4  
Why must it be converted to three point. Can it not be used as a pull type just as is?

Egon

/ old two-bottom pull-type plow - modify/alter? #5  
Amen. That is the simplest solution. Trying to convert this plow to 3ph may be frustrating, getting the plow to track properly. It would look good behind your vintage JD too.

/ old two-bottom pull-type plow - modify/alter? #6  
I have a 2 bottom that I had converted, maybe 25 years ago. The service mgr at a local tractor shop, put me intouch with a man that made the conversion for $100.00.
He did an excellent job.

/ old two-bottom pull-type plow - modify/alter? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think you'd be better off selling it to a collector.. or someone who wanted it for what it was... then use the money to buy a 99$ middle buster, or 250$ 2 bottom plow from TSC.. or to pay anywhere from 150$ to 200$ for a vintage ford or dearborn 2 bottom plow.. like a 10-1 I feel the vintage 2 bottom plows from dearborn and ford are far superior to the 2 bottom at TSC.. etc.

Soundguy )</font>

I'm quoting SoundGuy, but mainly replying to the original post.....(SoundGuys comments were "spot-on" as usual)

And not just a little bit better off..... The TSC plow (Howse brand I believe) is not worth the money... PERIOD. I took one in on trade from a guy a couple summers back. I used it to plow my garden that fall. I normally pull 3X16"s with the tractor I used. This plow was a 2X14" model. It pulled the guts outta that tractor. Poor fit of the shares/shins/moldboards/landslides made it pull like an anchor.

My personal favorite is the Ford model 101 plow. Parts are still relatively easy to get, the plow was a good one from day one, and they still sell relatively cheap, as compared to a new TSC plow.

The coulters (those round disc's you're referring to) make the plow cut cleaner, and to some extent, pull easier. They help in dealing with "trash" (i.e. corn stalks)

As far as modifying an old plow, I did that ONE TIME in my life. (when I was young, dumb, and BROKE) I ended up with a big bulky, heavy plow that just barely did work, and was worth little or nothing. THEN, I found out that the plow I cut up was worth a few pesos as a restorable collectors item. (IH "Little Genious" plow)

For the sake of a couple hundred bucks, I'd just go find a good old plow, and plant flowers around the old pull-type model.

JMHO, and worth about as much as you paid for it......