Help! Need ideas to build the "ultimate" workbench

/ Help! Need ideas to build the "ultimate" workbench #11  
Re: Help! Need ideas to build the \"ultimate\" workbench

The "oak" plywood would not be a good material for a workbench top. The external veneer may be oak, but the inner layers are usually a soft whitewood. There may also be voids in the substrate that would lead to dents in the plywood. I think the idea of Masonite over two layers of 3/4" particle board would be good. Specialty plywood stores do sell a high-density particle board that is 25" wide, and up to 12 feet long. It is used for Pressure Laminate Countertops.

/ Help! Need ideas to build the "ultimate" workbench #12  

Here is one idea.

Egon

Last edited:
   / Help! Need ideas to build the "ultimate" workbench #13  

And another.

Egon

Last edited:
   / Help! Need ideas to build the "ultimate" workbench #14  

Nice Egon, any story to go with them or are they harvested pictures.

/ Help! Need ideas to build the "ultimate" workbench #15  

Harvested pics. I bring a lot of books home from the library. My shop is much too small to accomadate proper bench so dreaming is in order. Pic. of my shop.

The benches pictured are not ideal for what the original poster has in mind but may give ideas. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Egon

Last edited:
   / Help! Need ideas to build the "ultimate" workbench #16  

The people who are responding about building a workbench out of wood must not understand welding. I do all my welding on the garage floor or driveway (gravel driveway hurts the knees) because I don't want to burn down my workshop by welding on a wooden bench. I wish I had an all steel workbench! I would not even trust a steel top on a wooden frame because of the heat involved. If you can build an all steel one, go for it and I will be quite envious....

/ Help! Need ideas to build the "ultimate" workbench #17  

Welders usually prefer a steel bench [ 1/2 to 3/4 plate top ] on rollers with 360 degree access and a set of screens. Provisions for a vice and pipe vise that are removable.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Help! Need ideas to build the "ultimate" workbench #18  

Agreed. If you're going to use it mostly for welding, all steel is the only way to go. But if you have any good woodworking tools, you will also need a wood work bench.

/ Help! Need ideas to build the "ultimate" workbench #19  

Yep, that said, I think the "ultimate" solution is one of each. A wood bench, and a steel bench.

/ Help! Need ideas to build the "ultimate" workbench

Ah ha! It sounds like you guys do agree that I need not only two benches, but two different types. I'm glad to see that I'm not just being odd in thinking that two different types of benches is what I'm needing.

My neighbor has a portable saw mill. I was thinking about having him saw up some oak for me to make the top out of for one of the benches. What would be the best setup? Have him cut up some lengths about 2" x 3" and then glue them together, plane it off and belt sand the top making a 3" solid oak top? Or, would that split and warp on me??