Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B7100, JD Gator 6X4, Kubota L2350, JD 14T Baler, JD 894A Side Delivery Rake, IH 100 Balance Sickle Mower

Default Re: Fence Posts

I have seen Hedge posts that were probably 20+ years old, not only did they not rot, but they were still had what looked like "live" wood on the inside, and I have seen a couple that had roots growing out...hedge is scary stuff, I think it is some form of alien life form.

Hedge is also very hard on saw chains.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Ford 8N, International 454, Farmall M

Hedge (Osage Orange to some) is all we use in Nebraska (of course, there is an abundance of it!). There are Hedge posts on our farm that were put in the ground in the 1910's that are still there 90 years later. The posts will last longer if they are "aged" (dry) instead of put in the ground fresh. Cut the tops (of what ever posts you get) at an angle to help keep water from standing. Have fun tamping 'em!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    175 Allis, 1975

Doxhound,
    Can one drive staples in seasoned hedge posts? I've heard that it's near impossible.

Tk

Silver Member
    Tractor

That's what my wife's dad told me -"Can't be done!". He just wraps the barb around the post, then wraps 14ga wire around that. I just pound in a staple. Tough, but it can be done. Of course, you could always cheat - cordless drill and a bit first..... [img]/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD 870

I've had similar experiences, avoiding tar on the post and applying a copper perservative. However, I do set the post in decomposed granite, and when packed in lifts with water it feels like cement, yet percolates like sand.

Silver Member
    Tractor

OH yeah - forgot to tell ya - use the short, fat staples - they'll work like a charm!

Silver Member
    Tractor
    175 Allis, 1975

Doxhound,
    Thanks for the tip on staples. There are some hedge trees in adjoining counties to me. Think I'll look into buying some.

TK

Silver Member
    Tractor
    175 Allis, 1975

Doxhound or anyone who knows,

Can a person find hedge posts that are straight, or would they have to be sawn at a sawmill to get straight posts?

TK

Silver Member
    Tractor

Sorry it took so long to post back - Around here (eastern Nebraska) the hedge trees grow like weeds. Most of them have straight limbs/trunks long enough for an 8' post (sometimes several out of each tree). Most corner posts are 8"-9" in diameter, while line posts are 4"-5". Sometimes, if the post isn't straight, just get creative in how you dig the hole, and PLANT it straight. Pulled a couple posts that had been in since the 50's the other day - 5 foot straight, but had a 45 degree bend just below ground level.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD4320 with TNT, electric diverter, cruise control and air suspension seat.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast