Fence Posts

/ Fence Posts #22  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> We tried tar on oak post and they rotted quicker, 3yrs. </font> )</font>

Oak will not last if it makes contact with the ground for very long.Red oak really rots fast in about 2 to 3 years when laying on the ground. In my area we use Locust posts and I have seen Locust posts that are 80 years old and still standing.
Locust also makes a good firewood.

/ Fence Posts #23  
Never had any luck with Locust around here. Put a couple of "seasoned" (2 years) in the ground last year and they developed a "bug" problem and turned to dust. I think I'll stick to Hedge.

/ Fence Posts #24  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( <font color="blue"> Never had any luck with Locust around here </font> )</font>

Never ever heard of your problem around these parts,not disputing your word though....no hedge in this area. But our Locust will last for decades. A locust around here can lay on the ground for 5 to 6 years and not rot....they are as hard as a rock. There are different types of locusts in the USA..Like I say they have used locust here for years until the treated posts came along.But some people still use Locusts .
Fence posts

/ Fence Posts #25  
Good web site.

/ Fence Posts #26  
Dunno - we've got three different kinds of Locust on our farm. If you can season them indoors (and keep bugs outta them), then the wood is "rock hard" like you said. On the other hand, if bugs get to them, they're dust in a short time. Bugs don't bother them while the tree is still in the air, but cut it and away they go! Don't think it's the difference in Locust that makes it different, it's probably a difference in bugs! Some reason, they love the stuff! Lot of people use Black Locust for firewood. Neighbor cuts it up all year to sell . His "buyer" sets it out front of convenience stores in Omaha & Lincoln. Gets $4 for 6 little pieces. Neighbor makes $10,000+ profit a year, by just "piddlin". What ever works, I guess!

/ Fence Posts #27  
Locust isn't easily available here, I have been using treated pine round post.Thanks for posting the link earlier

/ Fence Posts #28  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( <font color="blue"> it's probably a difference in bugs </font> )</font>

Thats interesting.....the bugs must like the taste of locust.... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Is the hedgewood a hard wood ??? I never heard of hedgewood. I may have to find a couple hedgewood seedlings on line to plant in my yard for show and tell.

I would like to be able to sell my firewood and make the $$$$ you are talking....around here a good split full size pick up load can bring $40 a load + or - I have acres of hardwoods and lots of tops on the ground from my timbering activities.Just don't have enough time to do everything.....

/ Fence Posts #29  
Hedge is VERY hard wood that has small thorns on the branches (but not trunk) - if you cut it, the center is bright yellow. Some call it "Osage Orange". Don't have hedge trees in Ohio? I'll send you a couple, if you really want them! They can be a good shade tree, if you trim them up right. I've seen pictures of people who planted them 3'-4' apart and wove them together to make a living fence. Probably took awihle, but it was neat. I have a couple in the yard right now (and about 1000 in the pasture!). Also have a bunch of Locust and a Bizillion Cedar trees (MUST KILL....MUST KILL....).

/ Fence Posts #30  
What kind of Cedars do you have ??? Do they get very big ???
I would be interested in the Hedge trees....