Damage on piston

/ Damage on piston #1  

HankStains

Tractor
Fordson Super Major, Massey 835-DS, Energic 521, John Deere 420, Case 580B CK
Hi Guys,
Took your advice and had my ram welded after snapping off the end. Made a jig and took it to a local engineering firm who had a million amp welder and did no trouble. Thing is after all this messing about i seem to have a put a ding in the piston. Nothing serious, looks like a finger nail gauge in the icing of a cake. Now this ram is for left and right turn on the backhoe and the ding is close to the end, i.e.fully retracted. it is not very often that i will slew the backhoe fully left, so is it ok to leave it or will i be forever changing the seal. Anyone gto any experience with these.
Also,

Anyone got any ideas for a homemade 3 point hitch. I need to convert my mower deck, currently gravely, and my rotorvator which is mounted by the top arms only and two bracket and pins instead of draw bar attachments.

I'd appreciate any ideas or pointers to other messages.

cheers

Hank

/ Damage on piston #2  
Hank alot of time we take and polish the gouge in a ram to take the edge off the scar. With smoothed edges and pit it will move past the seals without damage. The only fluid youll loose is what is in that little pit when it goes past the seals I put a good sized ding on a ram on my older backhoe and thats howw I fixed it. When I get some more time and a section of ram stock Ill make anew one on the lathe. ALot of times clearing a dozer can damage the lift and tilt cylinders so we learn how to fix them cheaply.

/ Damage on piston #3  
hank,if you will take some j-b weld or similar epoxy,clean the "ding" with a good solvent,apply the epoxy and let it dry completely,then sand it smooth with emory cloth(very fine)it should last a lifetime.