Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #41  
Somewhere you should be able to get some good lovejoy spider inserts.. urethane or something.

We have an old Bros mixing unit.. has a cumins 280 in it.. off the back of the generator, was a hyd pump, using a lovejoy coupler.. right next to the block.. pump and genny got hot enough to not want to touch them...

Soundguy

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #42  
I have not read all the messages, but I'm wondering about two items the first is engine governors don't seem to be addressed. electrical or hydraulic. They are relavent to good and steady power from the generator.

The second is why isn't the spider/rubber to the flywheel coupler system used for coupling the engine to the generator. Similar to a commercial built generator. These may require a adapter for the flywheel or some kind of flex plate. I'm curious if these are not a option with a component build type system. bjr

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw
The engine I'm using has a mechanical govenor that seems to be very fast in response. And is fully adjustable.

Not sure about the rubber spider coupler directly to the flywheel as you mentioned.
thx
Jim

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #44  
soundguy,
here is a pic of the chain coupling that i am going to try. i tried a hytrel spider and it failed.

Attachments

• 666431-Dsc01478 (600 x 450).jpg
    666431-Dsc01478 (600 x 450).jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 1,152
   / Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #45  
a pic of the hytel spider after it failed. maybe the vibration from the single cylinder engine was too much for it.

Attachments

• 666434-Dsc01479 (600 x 450).jpg
    666434-Dsc01479 (600 x 450).jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 983
Do you have the cover for the chain coupler? As I'm researching how to connect mine I've read about the chain type. If your going to run it at a high RPM they say to get the cover which in turn you put greese in it.

I'm considering a Lovejoy L110 if I go the direct method. If I could find the pulleys I would use a 6 groove serpentine type belt.

thx
Jim

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #47  
jim,
the cover was optional and an extra $41.00. you don't really need it unless your in a dirty type environment. for as much as i will use this,(stand-by)i didn't want to spend the xtra cash. the counter person told me the cover has a grease fitting and some seals on it. it also could be added at a later date if need be, as it comes in 2 halfs for easy installation.
i am making my own guard to cover it and the rear flywheel for safety. i will hit the coupling with some good dry lube at regular PM intervals.
the lovejoy L 110 is probably big enough for your military engine. the Lo-95 was too small for my set up, but i used a Lo-95 on my 11 hp log splitter 6 years ago and it worked great with a buna-n spider. i saw a few big lovejoy's on ebay for a buy-it-now price of $10.00 per half. i think it was a L-150.
if you get a L-110 your spider insert torque rating's would be:
buna-n 792 in. lbs.
urethane 1188 in. lbs.
hytrel 2268 in. lbs.
jim i agree the L-110 will do the job with power to spare..
keep us posted on your progress..

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #48  
Jim,
Have you looked into a Falk Steelflex coupling?
What size shafts are you looking at? I have a Steelflex coupling laying around, with no uses in the near future. I think it's somewhere ½-¾" hole size.
Falk Steelflex couplings

I picked up from Surpluscenter.com a couple of synco-cog pulleys and a belt for $9.00. I am about done with the main frame that holds the engine and gen head. Maybe today I will be able to test run it.
thx
Jim

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #50  
I noticed that I had a picture of my lovejoy PTO off the crank of the 45 HP diesel. It runs the single hydraulic pump.

Attachments

• 671204-6-05-04 019.jpg
    671204-6-05-04 019.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,010