Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #1  

Jim_in_Omaha

Gold Member
Tractor
LK3054
Wondering if anybody has had experience with the Harbor Freight 10kw generator head. Its actually more like a 7.2kw with 10kw peak. I'm building a generator and gathering information. Need more startup power than the Coleman 5000 has. I would like to get a ST gen head thats talked about at utterpower.com. They are all over Ebay but the shipping is a kicker for those monsters on top of the price. Theres a HF store locally here.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45416

thx
Jim

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #2  
Are you hooking it up to your PTO?
I think they are 2-pole windings and that means you'll have to have a 6.6 - 1 ratio on the PTO for the 3600 rpm needed for 60Hz out. Do some checking and see what required for the drive unit. A 20 gas engine's not cheap.
Maybe this will help, or just make it worse.
Ill help anyway possible.

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #3  
I'm not very impressed with the Chinese version of bearings or electric wiring, you have as much chance of getting a bad one as you have of getting a good on. When you start purchasin' tools in pairs the low price disappears pretty quick. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #4  
jim
i think the ST heads are 4-pole 1800 rpm heads. i already had a 2-pole 3600 rpm winco generator head when i built my diesel powered generator last month. its posted in this forum. but the few people i talked to that had the ST heads were very happy with them. they got them on ebay,i think from ohio. i wish mine was 4-pole, the slower the prime mover runs the longer it lasts.

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #5  
Are you buying this to swap into your coleman.. or as a side project.

Speaking o fthe 6.6 ratio gear boxes.. I've not seen a line on these. Obviously someone has them, as all the norhtern hyds pto gennies have one... Would be nice to find a source, as gen heads by them selves are cheap. Seems like you could get a gen head for a couple hundred, and a gear box for the same.. and be at half price on a pto gen.

Any comment on this?

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw
I will be hooking it up to an engine. I'm getting a 4 cylinder military surplus engine 32cid.

It will be replacing the Coleman 5000. So if it works the Coleman will be for sale. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Its for emergency backup mainly. Not for long run stuff. I need more kick than the Coleman has for running the fridge and furnace startups.

I would expect that the ST heads like on Ebay are great. utterpower.com has alot of info on them. But they are really really big and heavy. And the cost of shipping on top of the purchase price drives the total cost of the project up more than I like.
Jim

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #7  
jim, i just tested this gen set out a few weeks back. had to upgrade the spider insert for the lovejoy coupling to a hytel type. holds up 2x under higher torque loads than the buna rubber type.
is your four cylinder engine a wisconsin? i think all the parts for the 32 cid mil. type engines are interchangable between all the manufacturers.(onan,wisconsin,ect).

Attachments

• 655847-Dsc01405 (600 x 450).jpg
    655847-Dsc01405 (600 x 450).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 3,902
   / Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #8  
I too have taken a good look at them @ HF. seems like a good place to start when a backup is needed... I'm not sure what the# of Poles were, I don't have TRUE plans on building one just yet. usually you can find them in the paper or auctions around here for a few more $s than the parts alone would cost but the untis need a good inspection 1st...

I was also looking at the SOLAR systems that can store XX power in batteries which seems to also be a great way to go if you can have a place for a few good sized batteries & a big enough Inverter to convert to VAC form the DC...

HF has those on sale now in the 500 watt range /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Makrm

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw
I went back and read your posts on yours. I like the diesel.

I have not received the engine yet. The last 4A032 I saw was a Teledyne/Hercules. But I know they have been made for a long time by multiple companies.

The HF gen head is a 2 pole 3600 rpm. I question its reliability. I suppose when I get ready to get the gen head I could buy it and test the crud out of it for a couple of days. And if it dies take it back since the store is here in town. Its $299.

Jim

/ Harbor Freight Generator head 10kw #10  
jim,
those were and still are great engines. we used them alot in the military to power our electric needs in the field. they always seemed to be way more powerful than the engine tag read. my gen heads a 2 pole. and for back-up power it should last a long time. i think the 4-pole heads are better suited for 24/7 running. i built a 2 cylinder wisconsin powered generator 5 years ago and only put 46 hours on it as back-up power in the 5 years.
like you stated, the shipping cost is high for those heavy cast iron 4 pole heads. i got this used USA made winco 8kw head for $200.00, and took it to a electric motor rebuild shop for new timkin bearings and a complete check-over. i only went with a diesel because i can store the treated diesel fuel longer and i have it in a 60 gallon storage tank.
i asked the tech's at the electric motor shop about the comparision between a 4 pole with brushes and a 2 pole brushless gen head. they told me unless you were powering a small community 24/7, the 2 pole brushless will last a long, long time for back-up power needs. that was good enough for me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif