Concrete Ring Wheel Weights

/ Concrete Ring Wheel Weights #1  

loaderbob

Bronze Member
Tractor
D3250, YM1802D, & 8N(Snow removal and restoration fun)
I have a customer who is looking for pre-past concrete wheel weights. Anyone have any advice or ever built a 12 inch thick concrete ring and mounted it on the rim? I only have experience filling the tires with fluid. Any help would be appreciated. Is it as "easy" as build a form, pour some sack crete, and mount. Anything to consider about the kind of concrete? This could be an interesting weekend project... Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Bob

/ Concrete Ring Wheel Weights #2  
I have 2 old septic tank lids that were pre-cast concrete that I used for wheel weights. Just drilled them out and mounted. Probably 60-80 lbs each. I'd say they were more like 16" or so, though.

/ Concrete Ring Wheel Weights #3  
If you are going to use sack concrete you might want to add about an extra shovel full of cement just to increase the strength. Some welded or woven wire for reenforcement is also good.

/ Concrete Ring Wheel Weights #4  
Poured weights were common ( and cheap) in the old days. Just imbed some iron for strength, and studs / bolts or allthread as fixed mounting points.. or cast a piece of pipe in it to help as a mount thru for bolts. Alternately.. some people just drill out the holes then mount.

Make a form with the rim.. many like to leave the lug nuts clear.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Concrete Ring Wheel Weights
Thanks eveyone for the input and tips. I am going to take a weekend and help this guy out. He is an older gentlemen and is pretty insistent on the whole cement weighting. I think the compromise will be filling the tire 1st then casting these weights.

Thanks!!!
Bob