Mig welder versus stick welder

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #1  

mygoatboy

Tractor
Ford 3000
Hello,
I have been reading all the posts I can find about comparing a MIG to a stick welder but I still cannot decide. I would be using it to weld up any of my agricultural stuff that breaks and also fabbing up new equipment. I was going to go with a Lincoln Electric AC-225 welder new but I found someone selling a Lincoln Electric SP200 mig welder for $250 which is about the same price as the stick welder. Any recomendations? Can I run gasless on a MIG if I use flux wire?

Thank You,
Daniel

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #2  
Stick for strong...MIG for pretty.
I used to prefer the MIG...till I bought an auto darkening helmet and found out that I CAN weld stick!
You can always borrow rod from the neighbor when you run out at 12:03 on Saturday afternoon...try getting your bottle filled!!!
I love my AC225...
No wind problems
No clogged tips or bent wire
Rod for anything
Leads don't care if they're tangled
30 or 40 more reasons why I prefer stick....

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #3  
If you can only have one; I'll agree with stick.

Actually, if I was committed to exactly one welding tool, it would be oxy-actelyne, but I find as many things that require a braze as a weld; not to mention the cutting torch.

Anyway, back to your question, if you can pick up a cheap old "buzz box" [to get through your "essential repairs"] then save your money for a good wirefeed too [for the thin stuff], I'd think you'll be happiest.

I don't own a auto-dark helmet, but wish I did....that was very good advice!!

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Stick for strong...MIG for pretty.)</font>

I disagree.

I have O/A, stick, mig and tig welders. Each has it's own place for certain jobs. It all depends on what you are welding.

I have made close to 2 dozen tractor implements using the mig exclusively. Mig's are also perfect for auto body work.

The inexpensive mig's are great for up to 1/4" and the more expensive and powerful mig's work great for anything 3/8" and up. A mid priced 150-180 amp mig should run you around $600 or so.

The mig is by far the easiest to learn to use and get a decent looking strong weld. It is also the most versitlle. I haven't used my 225 amp stick welder in over 3 years (you can buy it from me cheap if you are interested).

Yes, you can weld mig with flux core wire and not have to use shielding gas, but you will get better welds with the gas.

Like tractors, buy the best equipment you can afford. For additional welding information go to the Miller/Hobart welders forum where you can read up what other hobby and professional welders have to say.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder
Thank you all for your quick and knowledgeable responses. I was leaning for a stick but then I saw the mig so I thought I would ask.

Daniel

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #6  
Daniel,

If you are going to learn to weld, IMO, stick is the way to go.

Good luck,

Gary

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #7  
ive got another option for a good do everything setup buy a ac/dc stick for 375 and a ready welder for 400 and you can weld anything i think ready welder makes a gun now that the feed motor has a seperate 110ac plug so you can run it on an ac welder saving another hundred bucks plus 2 car batteries and you can weld as far out in the boonies as you like

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you are going to learn to weld, IMO, stick is the way to go.)</font>

Mig is the easiest to learn. Less technique is required. You can get excellent welds the first time with little or no effort. I have been welding for over 30 years and mig (or wire feed) is by far the easiest to learn and use.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #9  
I learned to weld when I was 17. Back then, and probably still now, the instructors would always start you out with stick, padding 6"X6"X 1/4" flat plate. Once that was mastered, then you moved to the next step. You were not allowed to touch the MIG or TIG until you could competently do verticle welds. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Monotonous, yet effective. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

When I got to the MIG, I thought I was in heaven! I think learning stick first is the best way to learn fundamental welding skills, but if you're just looking to join metal and make some basic repairs, MIG is easy to learn.

Most technical colleges have a welding class available for adult learning at night and is a cheap way to learn some basics and get the most out of which ever welder you choose.

/ Mig welder versus stick welder #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mig is the easiest to learn. Less technique is required. You can get excellent welds the first time with little or no effort. I have been welding for over 30 years and mig (or wire feed) is by far the easiest to learn and use. )</font>

Well, there's a place for both types of welding if you do a lot of repairs and fab work.

I think stick is best for farm equipment repairs. Many repairs are hard to reach, and at odd angles. You can bend your stick rod and get to almost anything. Some repairs are hard to get to with a grinder, so you must burn in. That can be a real challenge with MIG.

It's easier to learn to weld pretty with MIG, but you really have to know what you're doing to get good penetration and a strong weld.