lawn size hay baler

/ lawn size hay baler #1  

megotatractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2210
anybody ever heard of a small lawn size hay baler? a vac/bagger is fine for mulch/compost, but what if someone wanted to dry the grass clippings then bundle them for their aminals? a tiny yard rake is already available..........

/ lawn size hay baler #2  
trere was a walk behind baler in farm show a year or so ago. Used on really small farms.

/ lawn size hay baler #5  
Check out the add for a full set of Haying Equipment for sale at the bottom of the page. Note the reason for selling ... Talk about an occupational change ...
Leo

/ lawn size hay baler #7  
Have you thought about a stationary baler? They are very easy to build, but take a little more elbow grease as you have to bring the grass to it.

Greg

/ lawn size hay baler #8  
If you look at the price on those little balers, you may think twice.
$7K!

A suspect you could but a real used baler in working condition for less than that price.

If moving the bales is a problem, keep in mind that you can make bales smaller than the maximum size. My vermeer rebel makes a 4'x5' bale that weights ~1000 lbs.
It takes a reasonable tractor to move these around.
But you can make 4' wide by 2' round bales as well with that same machine. And these are light enough to move around with any tractor.

The only issue then would be do you have a compact tractor with enough hp to run the baler.

Fred

/ lawn size hay baler #9  
Best think I've found is a sweeper that you pull behind a riding mower... It works great, make sure though, the wheels are heavy... Home Depot has a great one, Sear's needs bigger wheels, I use mine to pick up sticks, pinecones, and lots of pinestraw.

/ lawn size hay baler #10  
GDC, Yes I have often thought of a stationary baler because I intend to do some old fashioned threshing, and your suggestion that they are easy to make attracts me. How easy? Do you have detailed plans?