Log Splitter makeover, with log lifter

/ Log Splitter makeover, with log lifter #1  

Bigbear

Silver Member
Tractor
Jepe 354
A few years ago I built this logsplitter, but the axle and wheels did not allow for towing behind the tractor or truck. I had used a 3/4" axle with wheel borrow tires, and towed it behind the 4 wheeler or had to load it on a trailer to transport. In the makeover, I bought an old popup camper and used the axle and springs as a starting point. Used the tractor to lift the splitter up while cutting the old axle off, and then lowered onto new axle and towable frame. I figured now would be a good time to add a log lift. With an order to Northern, and a few trips to the parts store the splitter is now up and running great. I still want to add chainsaw storage, on the deck and maybe a place for the gas can.
I would also like to update the 11gpm pump but the budget took quite a hit with all the new parts. I used a Prince logsplitter valve and added a Prince Priority Flow Divider which helped slow down the lift cylinder speed and speed up the splitter cylinder. Just had to share with fellow wood burners. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 729165-logsplitter1.jpg
    729165-logsplitter1.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 2,335
   / Log Splitter makeover, with log lifter #2  
Bigbear, I admire people who can fabricate with metal. I have been using a wood furnace for 20 yrs now, and decided early on to invest in a good splitter. I have no welding skills of my own, so I ended up buying a splitter from Northern that had a log lift. It was expensive at the time, but I see now they are almost twice as much in cost. Without a doubt, the log lift is the handiest thing and well worth the money. Also the splitter sits high, so the operator does not have to bend over. My log lift sits the right side of the spliter (looking from behind) and has a 1 ft tray on the left side. Maybe 3 things I would do different to mine..... 1) the log lift just has a couple cross members welded in to keep logs from falling through...seems like your expanded metal is better , 2) fabricate a set of removable trays to attach to the tongue of the trailer... (behind the splitter bar) to catch the wood after being split. You could remove easily when towing the trailer). , 3) the tray on the northern is 1/8 inch and the operator tends to push their thighs into it when operating. This gets old after a day of operation. I cut a piece of garden hose and cut a slit in it to fit over the edge. Somehow the edge needs be be rolled over or made so it is easier to lean against. Good luck with your splitter....looks very well done.

sassafraspete

/ Log Splitter makeover, with log lifter #3  
just looking at your design again... seems like having the motor up front and working end at the back makes sense , as you can leave attached to the vehicle and have plenty of room to work from behind. Also, with your splitter mounted on the ram, there is no need to have the extension trays that I mentioned, since in yours....it seems it would fall on exsiting trays / lift. Does that log lift work better being on the operator's side ? Seems like if it is not in your way, that having the lift up makes a nice table to feed logs from and you are not reaching over the I-beam.

/ Log Splitter makeover, with log lifter
Thanks sassafraspete, I operate the splitter from the motor side, the lift makes a great place to hold the other half of large logs you are splitting, don't have to bend over and pick up the other half. I try and back the truck or trailer up pretty close to the back of the splitter and just toss the pcs in when split. The smaller ones to be split I keep right behind me, so all I need do is turn around and pick up another one. If you have a helper (young sons), they could keep logs on the lift and the old man would not have to bend over as much. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I will take some action shots when splitting, and maybe see how big a pc the lift will take.

/ Log Splitter makeover, with log lifter #5  
Where do you stand to operate this? The frame appears to be in the way to stand up very close to the log being split, resulting in a lot of bending over.

I like the lift.

Seems an off-loading table would be helpful on the opposite side of the lift.

Nice work.

Maybe this picture will help. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 729432-logsplitter2.jpg
    729432-logsplitter2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,711
   / Log Splitter makeover, with log lifter #7  
Bigbear... that does look like central Indiana in the background of your picture, but I swear I didn't know Santa Claus burned wood too... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That's funny (sassafraspete) haven't heard anything that funny since I got back from Nam the first time. Semper Fi

/ Log Splitter makeover, with log lifter #9  
Nice looking splitter BigBear. What is that beast of a truck in front of it; looks like it's lifted a bit...

Thanks for your sacrifice to serve this great country!

Thanks DMF, it's a little Toyota 4x4 flatbed, with a big heart. I use the little 4 cylinder to pull the tractor with backhoe on an 18' dovetail trailer. It also gets a workout in the woods, or hauling firewood. Before I bought it, a teenager had it with monster tires on it, and ran it rather hard /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Not sure if it's any better off with me or not. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif