Home Depot Woes

/ Home Depot Woes #21  
I also find what Home Depot (and Lowes) you go to will determine what and how much they carry. Go to the HD on the "Rich" side of town and they have lots of yard and garden items buck have a much smaller assortment of building supplies. They also have higher priced lumber. Run across town to the "poor" side and they have lots of DIY parts, pieces, tools and cheaper lumber.

/ Home Depot Woes #22  
I recently messed up/lost some of those expanding plastic fasteners from plastic trim in my suburban (long story of a DIY repair). I was at the chevy dealer and struck out with the parts guy trying to find them on his computer.

Went to a tool store which handles a lot of car trim fasteners, no luck. Was at Lowes getting some other stuff and in their misc fastener store was the EXACT part I was looking for! The fasteners were $.50 each, which is probably 25% of what chevy would have wanted.

I was impressed. But no PFY helped me find it!

Ron

/ Home Depot Woes #23  
We should all think about local merchants, whether its hardware or food. Someone coined the term "Generica", which will be pretty sterile without some local color.

Some of our local color is a hardware store with deep stocks of uncommon merchandise, and a large staff that knows where it is and how to use it. At any given time, there are more work trucks in the parking lot than SUVs.There's an ancient computer in back but the checkout counter is strictly manual- no bar codes. Most stuff is in bulk or minimally packaged so you can buy the exact quantity you need and inspect what you are buying. The place is dark and my 12 year old daughter says it smells bad. If you accidently drop something in the waste box by the counter, leave it there. That box is also the spitoon.

I bought a sink drain pipe there once. Parked 20 ft from the door, was intercepted by competent help just inside the door, and the part was another 15 ft away. The helper rang me up and I was out the door in 2 minutes. (No line)

Back home I found that the drain need a provision to attach the dishwasher drain to it. Back to the store, same short walk to waiting help, he exchanges it and said "it was about the same price so call it even". Back on the road in 1 minute.

Contrast that efficiency with a MODERN transaction in a shopping center. Substitute 20 foot walks on both sides of the door for walks of 300 feet or more. Twice. Substitute two long checkout lines and one long product return line for one brief checkout. Factor in time to find stuff yourself. Too bad those big stores are so seductive.

John

/ Home Depot Woes #24  
John,
I remember two of the old hardware stores. One was in San Francisco and the other was in Sacramento California. The stores opened in the late 1890's and still had a bunch of inventory on the shelves that was there when they opened. I never left either store empty handed, they always had what I was looking for. Sometimes an eighty year old guy would take me down to the basement and would spend a little time digging through shelves because he knew that what I wanted was there some where and I would leave with part in hand. Then along came the big box stores and we all know the rest of the story.
Farwell

/ Home Depot Woes #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( NEVER buy an open box, it always is missing something. )</font>

OR a display model, even if it is discounted heavily. You'll spend more than the discount just to order the missing parts from the manufacturer. (who would have thought that the filter on a vacuum cleaner could cost that much...)

/ Home Depot Woes #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( lots of yard and garden items )</font>

Gary, I've bought a lot of stuff from both Home Depot and Lowes. In fact, we have them across the street from each other. But then Home Depot has a completely separate "Landscaping" store several miles from the regular store, and yes, it's at the edge of a wealthy neighborhood.

/ Home Depot Woes #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( We should all think about local merchants, whether its hardware or food. Someone coined the term "Generica", which will be pretty sterile without some local color. )</font>

I think about them all the time. I think about how they are always closed when I need them. Many stores, in my area, close by 6pm during the week and 1pm on Sundays. I can't cram everything in on Saturdays. Just one late night a week would be good.

/ Home Depot Woes #28  
I do a fair amount of building and go to a hardware store at least once a week. McCoy's is my favorite for bulk items and deliveries. They cater to builders and give me a discount that brings the price well under Home Depot and Lowes. They are also smaller than the competition and specialize in stuff to build a house more than fixing it up or making it pretty.

I've learned that each store has better selection on certain items. Home Depot is better than Lowes for electircal, but Lowes is better on plumbing. I like Home Depot cabinets and Lowes for appliances.

As a contractor, I also buy from the supply houses, but their prices are much higher than the box stores. Home Depot is cheaper on wire and outlet boxes than Wal-Mart and the Electric Supply companies in town.

For PVC pipe, my local farm store has the best prices by far.

Service isn't a consideration for me, I don't need it on 90% of my visits, and when I do, they all frustrate me. Just part of the game of building.

Bash Home Depot all you want, they are still one of my favorite places to hang out with a pad and pen taking notes and working on ideas. But I'll do that at just about any hardware store. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eddie

/ Home Depot Woes #29  
Eddie, I thought Home Depot and Lowes had just about put McCoy's out of business. I didn't know any of them survived.

/ Home Depot Woes #30  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( "how about you let me worry about what I want it for... )</font>
That is great! I will have to remember that the next time someone asks me the same thing! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif