making a boom pole?....

/ making a boom pole?.... #1  

StevenPaul

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2010 (Kranky), JD 4500
Hello All,

new to farm life and new to group but have been reading a lot of post here. Very cool and informative website! I've got a question, we bought a farm and have been finding some interesting things on it. One is this 3pt hitch thingamajig. We also have found some galvenized pipe laying around. I was wondering if I could make (I have a flux core welder) a boom pole out of these two items?

thanks!
Steve

Attachments

• 741001-3pt_thingamajig.jpg
    741001-3pt_thingamajig.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,630
   / making a boom pole?.... #2  
Do you have a hydraulic cylinder, also?
That type of three-point hitch would lend itself to building a boom pole modeled after a engine hoist.
How heavy are the pipes? Will one slip inside the other, to make the boom stronger? You could also attach a triangular truss to the top of the boom, for reinforcement. My experience is that you will always try to pick up just a little more weight than the boom will take, so stronger is better. (until the front end of the tractor comes off the ground... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Also, people usually reply to their own first post when posting more pictures, or adding information, to keep the forum index from getting out of hand.

/ making a boom pole?.... #3  
A nickels worth of free advice?

When posting a series of pictures, #2 should be posted as a reply to post #1, and not a seperate thread.

I've been dying to say that! Finally beat everyone to the punch!

/ making a boom pole?.... #6  
And here is another. And I don't remember who posted this one either. Ain't CRS a terrible thing? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I suspect one of these was the inspiration for the other. Very similar except for color.

Attachments

• 741040-Boom Pole 2.jpg
    741040-Boom Pole 2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,017
   / making a boom pole?....
ok, got it now, reply, not new post! thanks for the help and info

/ making a boom pole?.... #8  
Just be careful when welding the Galv pipe.
Poison fumes you know.
Ben

/ making a boom pole?....
I've heard about the fumes from galvenized, I made some "honey do" clothes line posts with it and everything went fine, out in the open air with a fan. I was wondering though, with a boom pole, will the flux core welder give sufficient welds? Also the pictures of the other ones has given me some great ideas.

thanks again,
Steve

/ making a boom pole?.... #10  
Steve,
How big current wise is trhe flux core welder. will probably work ok, but grind and do multiple passes. I prefer a stick for that kind of welding, but many use wire feed welders for it.
Ben