Backhoe buckets!

/ Backhoe buckets! #1  

countrybumpkin

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti, kubota
Any one have or know were to get plans to build your own buckets for backhoes. i bought a case hoe for my Kubota and am needing a small bucket to go along with the 18 inch that is on it.

/ Backhoe buckets! #2  
What about making a copy of what you have just narrower? Get some cardboard and make a template.

/ Backhoe buckets!
Guess that would work, Sometimes just don't see the obvious. What size bucket are people using for a small one. I was thinking around a 6" for running eletric lines or drain pipes stuff like that.

/ Backhoe buckets! #4  
I don't think you can get down in the trench with anything less than a 12" bucket. Plus I would think that a 6" bucket might be a bear to keep clean (more apt to plug with moist dirt). We use a 12" bucket for our digging needs and it seems to work well.

/ Backhoe buckets! #5  
I have a 24" and 12" buckets. A 12" trench is workable but its fairly tight. A smaller bucket would be ok for shrubs etc.. where your not working in the hole/trench. You may not want to go smaller than 8" or 10" because the dirt has a tendancy to stick in a narrow bucket. Others could probably comment better on that aspect.

/ Backhoe buckets! #6  
I've got a 9" bucket that is great for running drain lines and electrical conduit.

Greg

/ Backhoe buckets! #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( dirt has a tendancy to stick )</font>
I've seen some weld short length of chain in trench bucket for that problem.

/ Backhoe buckets! #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( dirt has a tendancy to stick )</font>
I've seen some weld short length of chain in trench bucket for that problem. )</font>

Could you clarify what length chain and where is it welded

/ Backhoe buckets! #9  
I made several buckets for my BH. Some plate steel, cutting bar, 3/4" stock for the pivot point brackets, a sledgehammer and an old stump. (These last two are v-e-r-y helpful for putting that gentle little curve in the bottom of the pan.) I used what I had and could scrounge up.

The smallest was a 12" which I found great for laying pipes and cables. It was reinforced and sharpened on all edges for cutting through roots. I got the teeth from a local Bobcat dealer and pinned them onto my home-made tooth mounts.

I also made a 16" for normal dirt digging and a 24" for culvert installations. The wider, the shallower to prevent strain on the little hoe.

As I recall, the dealer wanted several hundred $$$ each but I had less than fifty bucks in them all. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Go for it!