Looking for Ideas, combining Winch, Forks, Hauler

/ Looking for Ideas, combining Winch, Forks, Hauler #1  

catvet

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39
I'm throwing this out to see if it generates any ideas.

I have a Farmi 290 logging winch and Payne clamp on forks. I find myself moving a lot of firewood and gravel these days so I'm trying to figure out a way to do this with what I have plus a bit more. I usually have the winch on the tractor for counterweight as much as its intended use. I was wondering if there was a way, and place, someone could envision to attach (weld?) something onto the winch that I could attach my forks to. It would need to be lower down on the winch so I could get under things when the winch is lowered to the ground and then I could pick something up by raising the 3pt.

The next step would be a box which I could pick up with the forks after being loaded. Ideally the box would be about 5 feet long and maybe 4 feet wide with sides. If there was a place to slide the forks and pick up the box I could load it on the ground with gravel, or wood, using the FEL and then back up and pick it up after filling the FEL with one more bucketful. The ideal would be to have it set up that I could use the winch to raise the front end to dump it when I got to where I was going. The box idea is based on the Norwood Multimate for ATV's.

Besides figuring out if all that could be done I guess a question is would my 3 point hitch lift a significant sized full box. I have a Kubota B7800. Also can it be done without hurting the winch.

I should also mention I don't weld so any welding would have to be farmed out.

Thanks for any ideas. Pretty crazy I know. Here is one more ideal setup. The fork attachment should fold, or something, so that the forks could be raised out of the way when not being used but left on in case needed.

Links:
Norwood's ATV Multimate
Payne Forks
Farmi Winch

/ Looking for Ideas, combining Winch, Forks, Hauler #2  
Let's say that the 3 pt capacity of the 7800 is 1200#. Subtract the winch, say 400#. Build a "box" to hold gravel or firewood, say 200#. You've used up half your capacity. Hang the box out behind the winch and the cg is about 4' back, not 2' as it is (not sure of this) measured. That uses up most of what's left of your capacity and you haven't put anything in the box yet. How about a dumping trailer and a hitch pintle mounted to the winch? More $$ but much more likely to work for you, and a long-lasting solution. Jim

/ Looking for Ideas, combining Winch, Forks, Hauler #3  
So do you just want to be able to carry more gravel or firewood per trip? How far are you talking? Enough to make it worth while hassling with backing up forks under a box, lifting it and dumping it when you get to your destination, etc...?

As the other poster mentioned, the more weight you add to the 3pt in the form of attachments, the less load you can lift with the 3pt. Those multi mates have their own set of wheels to support the weight. Your 3pt will have to bear all of the weight.

As suggested, I'd look into a dump trailer. You could load it up, hook it up and take it where you need it. Then dump it with the tractor's hydraulics. Or look for an old dump truck. They seem to be all over the place.

/ Looking for Ideas, combining Winch, Forks, Hauler
Thanks for the feedback. The places I'm taking gravel vary from a 5 minute tractor drive to a 15 minute drive, each way. So yes I'm looking for more with each load. Primarily we are talking going down woods trails which would not be accessable via truck. My concerns with a trailer are both cost and stability while filling. Unless I get a two axle (axles widely spaced) I'm not sure of an easy way to not have the trailer tip if I detach it from the tractor while filling. I haven't been impressed with the "farm wagon" type trailers I have seen for ruggedness. I'm not sure they would do well in the woods.
Has anyone added a hitch receiver to a Farmi Winch? Not sure of best place to attach without messing up function of winch.

/ Looking for Ideas, combining Winch, Forks, Hauler #5  
If you're worried about dumping a trailer,doncha worry about a tractor you're sitting on??

bobodu,

Not sure what you mean. My concern is dumping gravel, or firewood, in the trailer with the FEL and it tipping backwards since the weight of the load is not distributed. Or with most trailers the tongue is sitting on the ground and the trailer is tilted forward while you are trying to load it.

/ Looking for Ideas, combining Winch, Forks, Hauler #7  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( Has anyone added a hitch receiver to a Farmi Winch? Not sure of best place to attach without messing up function of winch. )</font> <font color="red"> </font>

Here is one I recently added to my winch. Cut the hole with a cut off wheel on a grinder. Inserted receiver tube and braced it some on the back side.

Attachments

• 764525-100_2422 small.jpg
    764525-100_2422 small.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 431
Maine_Polack,

Thanks for the pic. Looks like a good way to go. Is that hole positioned just below the attachment for the PTO shaft?

/ Looking for Ideas, combining Winch, Forks, Hauler #9  
A two axle trailer would be more stable when loading. Look for one with the walking beam setup so the wheels will articulate over obstacles.

/ Looking for Ideas, combining Winch, Forks, Hauler #10  
Went out and took another pic from the back this time.I positioned it here because it was easy to brace. Idealy, I think it could be lower. I use a hitch that allows the ball to moved up and down, so I set it down a ways and it works fine.

Attachments

• 764733-100_2428sm.jpg
    764733-100_2428sm.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 350