Another "want to build a boom pole question" !

/ Another "want to build a boom pole question" ! #1  

NM_Mike

Tractor
New Holland TC33
Another \"want to build a boom pole question\" !

Just completed a copy of Madreferee clamp on receiver. Went together well and used scrap material except for the receiver itself. Thanks Madreferee!

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/666808-Img_0086a.jpg

Anyway, I want to build a boom pole for my next project. Don't really have a specific use for it yet, just want to build it. I kind of like 45V's boom pole ( http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/609339-FEL%20Boom%20Pole%2001.jpg ). I have a TC33D and want to build a pole about 8ft long. If I support the pole via chains to the middle (like 45V's) and use a top strap, what wall thickness should I use on the 2" square tubing? Any other pointers?

I am going to be out of town for the next week, so I cannot contribute until I get back, but I wanted to get the ball rolling before I left.

thx, Mike

/ Another "want to build a boom pole question" ! #2  
Re: Another \"want to build a boom pole question\" !

I'll vote for 1/8" wall. Thick enough to weld easily and not too heavy to lug around.

Brad

/ Another "want to build a boom pole question" ! #3  

I think 1/8" wall is too thin. I would use at least 3/16" or better. Just for reference here are the weights per foot...
1/8" wall = 3.068 lbs./ft.
3/16" wall = 4.320 lbs./ft.
1/4" wall = 5.410 lbs./ft
So if you went with 1/4" wall your weight for 8' of tube would only be 43.28 lbs.. Not all that much considering the much thicker wall. By the time you added your strap and all you would probably be under 60 lbs. total. Pretty easy to manage IMHO.

/ Another "want to build a boom pole question" ! #4  

Unless you are just itching to weld something, you can buy a boom pole for about $150.

/ Another "want to build a boom pole question" !

I've been able to locate some 1/4 wall 2" tubing. I am wondering if the 1/4 wall coupled with the chains supporting the pole at the 4' length would eliminate the need for the top strap?

thanks for the feedback
Mike

/ Another "want to build a boom pole question" ! #6  

I think the chains will help; whether it replaces the top strap, I don't know. Depends on what you want to lift.

I'd be more worried about bending the top of your bucket or whatever the boom pole hooks to your tractor with.......... I'd not want the weak link to be the loader or frame.

My 2 cents.
Ron