Sweet Home built BX Tractor Cab

/ Sweet Home built BX Tractor Cab #51  
IXLR8 said:
Here is an option I use when riding my motorcycle. All you need is an 12v outlet, they even have a temp controller. They have jackets, pants and gloves and they can be controlled together or separately.

Gerbing's Heated Clothing Welcomes You with Warmth and Comfort!

IXLR8:

Thanks for the link for the motorcycle cold weather gear that plugs into a 12vdc outlet. I knew this stuff existed, I just didn't know who made and sold it.

Skunkwerx suggested I try the battery powered socks and gloves, and I have in the past and they were no better than the chemical hand warmers.

/ Sweet Home built BX Tractor Cab #52  
They are not cheap... but they work well. Much cheaper than a cab, although a cab would certainly be nicer. Just need to experiment and layer properly. On a motorcycle trip, it was 30dF out, frost on the seat, my EX put the jacket liner on without anything between her and the liner, ie; no shirt and nothing over the liner but her leather jacket. She had it cranked up to the point she had burn marks on her. :eek: So they will get hot. :) She learned to layer properly after that.

/ Sweet Home built BX Tractor Cab #53  
It has been a few years since I was out in the cold while working, but years ago I worked loading trucks, driving a forklift. During the summer, heat from the motor roasted you, and during the winter, the heat was nowhere to be found, unless you stood right against the rear it. I had purchased a wrecked Corvette for the rear end parts, and salvaged the heater core from it. I built a wooden box around it, added a 12v Susuki water cooled motorcycle fan, ran some heater hoses and presto, I had HEAT! It blew enough heat to warm my legs and if my hands got cold, I would just reach down and hold one at a time in front of the air flow.
Suddenly, I started noticing that my fuel tank wouldn't make it to the end of the day, whereas I always fueled it before I went home, and it lasted thru the next day. I started watching how/where I parked it, and figured out somebody was using my forklift. Seems they would use it for the early shift and return it right before I came into work. All I had to do was quit fueling it at night, and presto, I came into work with a full tank of fuel. Great trade-off as they got to stay warmer, and I didn't have to fuel the tank (propane is cold to fuel in the winter!!)
Even if you don't have a cab, there are ways to make snow blowing less of a chore.
David from jax

/ Sweet Home built BX Tractor Cab #54  
A place near my in-laws sells the Gerbing heated clothing. The next time I'm down that way, I'll stop in and try the gloves out. If they work in the store, then I'll probably do some hip pocket movement and buy a set of cloves and socks.

/ Sweet Home built BX Tractor Cab #55  
mjncad said:
A place near my in-laws sells the Gerbing heated clothing. The next time I'm down that way, I'll stop in and try the gloves out.
I got the Gerbing heated gloves for use on my motorcycle, they warm well, keep the hands toasty warm. BUT, they don't curve around the handlebar grips very well, they are a bit bulky and uncomfortable, so I don't use them. What I use instead, is my standard gloves and these 'triple digit' glove rain covers from Aerostich.

Rain Covers :: Gloves :: Off And Riding :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

They keep your hands dry, are light, and block the wind so the regular gloves can keep you warm. They look a bit funky, but work well for me. Being nylon they can be a little slippery. I have ridden at 70mph at 30dF, on my BMW R1100RT, and my hands were not cold. They didn't have the insulated ones when I bought mine.. so I don't know how well they work.

HTH

/ Sweet Home built BX Tractor Cab #56  
Thanks for the additional glove tips IXLR8. That's why I want to check out the Gerbing products first hand before ordering them. I have a pair of Roffe ski gloves I bought many years ago, and even those only work for a short time in the cold for me.

/ Sweet Home built BX Tractor Cab #57  
Just remember that the heated gloves are no good without the temp controller. They are also much easier to connect up if you have the heated jacket liner, glove connections are built into the liner. :) Although I believe they come with a Y connector that you run down your sleaves. I can attest that the heated jacket liner, with the controller work GREAT. :D Be forwarned, without the controller... you will get burned unless you find some way to limit power to the heated item. :eek:

/ Sweet Home built BX Tractor Cab #58  
I got a catalog for Sears at the house where they are now saleing a battery powered heated jacket

/ Sweet Home built BX Tractor Cab #59  
OH man this is just too cool :cool: A lot of thought went into this for sure not to mention exceptional workmanship. This is what I call a job well done and I really don't think it could be done any better. My hats off to you. Congrats on some outstanding work! ;)

/ Sweet Home built BX Tractor Cab #60  
I days of old! We turned the fan around and used the engine heat for body heat. Sort of forced us to keep engine leaks to a minimum. Then too: The cabs were not as tight. Really need to watch carbon monoxide fumes.