Winch

/ Winch #1  

lmac

Does anybody know how to make a winch out of a starter motor?

/ Winch #2  
Welcome to the forum.
Can you elaborate more about what kind of winch you are interested in, and what it might be used for? Might help a bit on the answers. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Winch
A friend of mine built a hay spear for the back of his truck and he wants to build a winch to lift the bale of hay. A guy told him he could build one from a starter motor but didn't go into detail.

/ Winch #4  
The motor is the easy part, it's the gear reduction that is the hard part. You could probably mate a starter motor to a hand crank winch. Unfortunatly without knowing the available torque of the motor, it would be a toss-up as to how effective it would be. Once you add up a useable motor, hand crank winch, and the parts and Time to put something together that works, you would probably be time, money and frustration ahead if you purchased a ready made winch with a known rateing that will do the job. Or if really on a budget and it is something not done all that often, you could possibly just use a hand crank winch or come along to lift/tilt the bales into the truck.

/ Winch #5  
The currnt draw of a starter motor (amperage) is so high that I doubt it would be practical.
Battery would be flat in no time at all.
Also starters are generally on bushings and meant for very short run times.

I'd check out some of the import winches often sold on EBay in the $50-$65. range that are rated at 2000 lbs.
The are complete with the reversing switch.

Generally they are offered as ATV winches.

In Canada COSCO sold them for $59.00 under the brand name of Champion.

/ Winch #6  
I think Imac is correct...it's going to be a pain to fabricate and will cost as much if not more than what you can find for a few $$. I think I saw one in Northern Tool catalog for $50 or $60 bucks...hard to beat that kind of setup. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Good luck!
Jon

/ Winch #7  
It could be done with a flexplate and a pipe. Us larger pipes for a bearing. you will need a brake to hold the bail in place. maybe use a spring loaded wedge foot at the pivet point of the bail. Most of the bail trailers I have seen us a hand worm gear crank.
I know this man out at out air port he made a winch out of a starter and a flywheel. He has it welded to the back of his hanger. It is used to pull his C182 in with a sling hooked to both main gear leags. It has a 35' run. He has it hooked up to a 12v bat with a matainer charger. The batteries last him 6 yrs +.
I have also seen people build air craft tugs ( look like a tiller that a nose wheel of an air plane rools in to be pushed) ot of starters and flywheels. they have a tall tire with a flywheel for a sprocket and the starter mounted on top. The bat works good as rear weight.
Also seen cable boat lift with a starter moter driving a flywheel that was turning a worm gear.
I just love to see stuf that works made out of junk.
John

/ Winch
Thanks guys. He went yesterday and bought one at a local tool store. It was going to be the quickest and easyest way to get it done.