Cable pulley for winching logs

/ Cable pulley for winching logs #1  

hogground

Has anyone ever made their own pulley for winching out logs when the log cannot be winched in a straight line? My idea would be to have a pulley that could be attached to a nylon strap which could be wrapped around a tree. I Imagine the pulley system should have a simple nonremovable pin, (which would prevent loss of the pin), but could slide into position to keep the cable in place and slide to another positon for removal of the cable. Is a build yourself pulley worth the effort or are there pullies out there in consumer land that are to reasonable not to buy?

/ Cable pulley for winching logs #2  
Try searching for the term "snatch block" ...

They've been discussed quite a bit before, and yes they're readily available to purchase...

/ Cable pulley for winching logs #3  
You might try the Farmi system for a pulley. they did build one that would release the cable when the log came up to it. It has an open face on one side that lets the cable release when a chain or slider comes up to the pulley. In our part of the country they are called snatch blocks.

/ Cable pulley for winching logs #4  
I have one that I used to use with my Warn winch on a Ford truck. The pulley's about 5" dia and sized for 1/2" wire rope. The side plates have a large hole through them, about 6" dia, that you can slip a chain or strap through. Worked fine.

Check anybody in your area that handles winches and such.

/ Cable pulley for winching logs #5  
If you have a Tractor Supply close by, the sell several different size sheive blocks (pulleys) for wire rope. The manufacturer is "Tuff-Tug" I think. They have them with swivels so cable binding will not be an issue. Nylon strap around a tree and connect the sheive to the strap with a clevis. I'v done it numerous times and it works flawlessly.
Dave