grapple on forks?

/ grapple on forks? #1  

jimmysisson

Veteran Member
Tractor
1993 NH 2120 (the best), 1974 MF 135 (sold, but solid), 1947 Farmall A (bought, sold, bought back, sold again), 1956 MH50 lbt (sold, in 1980, darn it)
I can't seem to find this in Search, maybe someone can direct me.
I've got a sturdy set of forks I use for moving logs and brush. Brush seems to easily slide off when I'm going over bumps so I've been thinking to add a set of arms to hydraulically clamp down on the load. I think I can build a pair, with a cylinder to run each, teed together and run from the remote valve with long hoses, as I run the power angle on my snow plow.
What I wonder is, has anyone used a combination like this? Logs are no sweat, but for picking up and holding onto brush? I have no need of a root grapple, I just want to hold stuff from sliding off the forks. Fork tines are 4' long, tractor is 6000 lbs., loaded rears.
Also, these forks are mounted on a piece of bar stock maybe 1½" dia. They swing free when the "bucket" is dumped, so you can slide each fork sideways adjust the width. When dumping brush onto a burn pile, that free-swing is a pain as forks get stuck in the tangle. Anyone come up with an idea for holding them to the frame without doing so permanently, ie so you could adjust them if necessary?
The pic shows the forks and frame, with arrows where I think I'd pivot the clamping grapple arms, and a little box crudely drawn on top of the frame where I'd pivot the cylinders.
This is in the early planning stage where I could use some advice. Thanks in advance, Jim

Attachments

• 828267-IMG_1433-1.jpg
    828267-IMG_1433-1.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,095
   / grapple on forks? #2  
Jimmysisson,

Here is a set of forks sold by Horst Welding with a grapple. I saw a set at a steam show last year and they looked really nice. I just bought an old set of forks, off a forklift, similar to yours and plan to do about the same as you are. To keep the forks from swinging out, the forks I have looked at have a piece of flat stock standing up near the bottom of the framework, with an L welded onto the back of the fork that will slide over the flat stock to adjust the width. I hope this makes sense. The flat stock on yours could go above or below the box tube at the bottom of your framework. I think I would prefer to have it on the bottom for strength when using the forks to push down on something. I will post a picture if I can find one.

Grapple Forks

Good luck,
Russ

/ grapple on forks? #3  
   / grapple on forks? #4  
Not a great picture, but I think you can see it OK on the bottom.

Attachments

• 828287-DSCN3096.JPG
    828287-DSCN3096.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 652
   / grapple on forks? #5  
jimmy
Looking at your pic attachment, reminded me of what I have done when using my forks to carry brush a ways away.

I toss a heavy chain over the top and use the weight of the chain to keep the load from bouncing. Your large hook would work ideal for a heavy log chain to be used that way.

Just something to consider for the brief but important times hauling brush.

/ grapple on forks? #6  
You may want to take a look at this link. It is a grapple for sale on EBay. Scroll down and it shows a couple of pictures with the grapple on a set of forks.

Grapple

/ grapple on forks? #7  
The grapple fork looks like a handy idea. Thought about adding them to our forks because we get a lot of pallets of merchandise that come into us that are loosely stacked and on the tipsy side. Figured the forks might be a good way to stabilize the load but unfortunately here lately we have also seen a lot more semi's bringing merchandise to us that have the pallets double stacked. there is just enough room to lift the top pallet and clear the roof of the container and at that point the grapple height might become a hindrance rather than a benefit to us.

/ grapple on forks? #8  
A suggestion ie. On each end of the frame, weld a piece of steel
approx. 6" square with a 1" overlap on the frame ends. Then attach a piece of 1/2" cold rolled steel bar between these ends as they extend about 1/2 inch in front of the fork up rights. The forks now adjust to width and will not "Roll Out" when you try to tilt forward to "Dump" brush.

jw5875