DIY truck bed

/ DIY truck bed #1  

zuiko

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 990 4WD
I have a stock 2001 F-150 shortbed that I am building a new flatbed for and I had a couple questions you guys might have an answer for.

The first question is how much travel on the rear wheels do I need to allow for? I will be putting helper airbags on the truck so squatting from heavy loads shouldn't be much of a problem... just the normal travel from hitting bumps.

I would like to extend the frame about 18" so I can move the bumper out and put an 8' bed on the truck. Are there bolt-on kits to do this? If so, where can I find one?

Thanks.

/ DIY truck bed #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I have a stock 2001 F-150 shortbed that I am building a new flatbed for and I had a couple questions you guys might have an answer for.

The first question is how much travel on the rear wheels do I need to allow for? <font color="red"> Measure the distance between the differential and the up stops for necessary clearance
</font>
I will be putting helper airbags on the truck so squatting from heavy loads shouldn't be much of a problem... just the normal travel from hitting bumps.

I would like to extend the frame about 18" so I can move the bumper out and put an 8' bed on the truck. Are there bolt-on kits to do this? <font color="red"> Not that I am aware of. Be careful of adding too much overhang to the frame as to not overload it.</font> If so, where can I find one?

Thanks. )</font>

/ DIY truck bed #3  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The first question is how much travel on the rear wheels do I need to allow for? Measure the distance between the differential and the up stops for necessary clearance )</font> Add a couple inches to that, as the bumpstops will turn into pancakes when hit hard.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
I would like to extend the frame about 18" so I can move the bumper out and put an 8' bed on the truck. Are there bolt-on kits to do this? Not that I am aware of. Be careful of adding too much overhang to the frame as to not overload it. )</font> Yes, be very careful. You will be adding a bunch of overhang weight; it will be sort of like putting a ton of tongue weight on your bumper. Maybe sell it and buy a long bed? <font color="red"> </font> <font color="red"> </font>

/ DIY truck bed
I didn't think of the stops thing but that is easy enough... thanks.

I don't see a problem with the extra length (assuming the truck is loaded properly), since hauling stuff with the tailgate down gives you an 8 1/2 foot bed to work with. And of course a trailer can easily put 1000 lbs of down force behind the rear wheels. I don't plan to do anything crazy like load up 2000 lbs at the very back. Square hay bales and lumber is about all it will haul.... so the load would be evenly distributed. Of course if nobody makes anything like that I am pretty much out of luck anyway. It's not something I'd have the equipment to fabricate.

/ DIY truck bed #5  
I don't think 18 inches is going to be a problem either.You can always run a couple of 4 X4 s the length of the frame.I may have a problem with my homemade dump because of the weight on the tail,but I beefed it up pretty good and ,like you...I ain't planning on hauling M1A1s...

/ DIY truck bed #6  
Most manufactored flat beds have main runners from front to back on top of the frame and these are what the so called bumper/ hitch are welded to. If you are wanting to run the stock bumper, just weld mounts for it.
http://www.cowcountrysales.com/truck_beds.htm
Notice how hitches/bumpers are part of bed.