Steel prices

/ Steel prices #11  
One thing about steel prices, they keep going up. I was planning on making a new sled trailer for atv's and my tractor. For the sled I needed HD rails, planned on 5x2x1/4" rec tubing. 10.5# per foot but geez. $177 for a 20' piece. 2x4x1/4" x20' $136. 2x4x3/16" x20 $106. About $.84 a pound. High but this is heavy stuff. This is at SSS Steel in Houston as another posted mentioned their web site. No discounts unless you are a BIG buyer. None for regular Joe's. This heavier stuff but I buy the 1" 16ga tubing and stuff there all the time. Also they don't cut up and sell smaller pieces. You want some plate or EM then you buy the 4x8 sheet. they do have a scrap yard that stuff goes for $.25 a pound. If it's bend some you can get it for $.20 a pound. The have some decent stuff but it varries from time to time. I might try and price some 4" channel for the trailer if I regain interest soon. FYI a local discount trailer place sells a 6'6" (or 6'9"...forget) tandem axle (2x3500#), 16' with side rails and wood bed for $1175. No ramps. I really can't build it for much less than that these days. Axles, tires, hardware alone would run about $600+ these days.

Man I've given myself another headache. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Steel prices #12  
<font color="blue"> I'm in the Chattanooga area if anyone is familiar with steel prices in this area.
</font>

Seaton Iron & Metal Co., Inc.
132 County Road 370, Athens, TN 37303
423-745-3192
423-744-9787 --fax

They have scrap and new steel and aluminum. I haven't bought anything there in almost two years, but scrap was $0.25/lb last time I bought. I don't know what it is today, but I doubt you will find new or scrap steel much cheaper anywhere else.

It's kind of hard to find, but it's worth it. If you end up at a yard that looks like it is full of surplus stuff, you are at the wrong place. Ask for directions to the steel sales. When you get there, head for the steel building near the gate on your right as you enter. You go to the office up by the scales only to pay.

Hope you find what you need there.

/ Steel prices #13  
My company buys steel by the truck and trailer load and have seen prices all over the place.

One other place. Check any large machine shops in your area. Many times they will need say, an 8' bar and it will be cheaper for them to buy the standard length, say 20'. We have done this in the past and end up with 10-12' that has been paid for by the customer that needed 8'. Talk to the purchasing agent at the company and see if they have any they can sale. They will most likely mark it up some but not as much as you would have to pay a steel house.

/ Steel prices
Thanks for all the info.

I just need a few pieces of steel.
3 - 3x.375x72 - length is approx. one of these will be cut up into smaller pieces.
1 - 6x.375x24 - can be little longer but no shorter
1 - 6x.375x72 - can be longer but no shorter
1 - 2x.375x120 - makes a 72 inch and 2 20 inch pieces. length appox.
2 - 3x2x.25 x 16 angle - may be as short as 14
1 - 20inch round x .375 - exact size
1 - 4x4x.25 x 60inch square tube - inch or so either way won't matter.

Some of that I will have to cut to the lengths I actually need.
But most of it is fairly close.
I won't have exact lengths till I start fabbing it up.

But you can see I don't need a bulk order of steel.
Just a few specific pieces.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

/ Steel prices #15  
I get a similar deal at my local scrap yard. $0.35 a pound, it may be rusty but that can be easily taken care of in a few seconds by a wire wheel.

/ Steel prices #16  
Here is a steel haul from Saturday, got it cut to size for the trailer. SSS Steel in Houston. They had some nice 5" 6.71# per foot channel. Clean, straight. Dude had no idea what the problem was. My guess it could have been sold as new but prehaps something slightly out of spec. 7 pieces of 20 footers. A 2 man job to haul at about 130# each. Didn't have the camera when loaded or unloaded. They also just put out some 20' 2x2x1/4" angle. Got 3 pieces for the edge. A bit rusty but I can clean that up. The scrap stuff is less than half the price of the new stuff. So if my math is correct that's 1162# of steel, cost with tax about $311. They load (big Cat forklift), I unload. It was all cut using a Milwaukee chop saw.

Rob

Attachments

• 842724-cutchannel1.jpg
    842724-cutchannel1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 270
   / Steel prices #17  
And some left overs for bridging, etc.

Attachments

• 842726-sparechannel.JPG
    842726-sparechannel.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 238
   / Steel prices
I called a place over in Chattanooga today.
The Steel Store is an outlet for Siskin Steel Company.
These are the prices I got.

8ft of 3/8 x 2 = $15.72
13ft of 3/8 x 3 = $37.75
3ft of 3/8 x 5 = $21.60
8.5ft of 3/8 x 6 = $48.29
14inch of 2 x 2 x 1/4 angle = $6.30
5ft of 4 x 4 x 1/4 square tube = $58.00
2ft of 3 x 3 x 1/4 square tube = $20.34
2ft of 2 x 2 x 1/4 square tube = $14.44

Didn't get a price for a 24x24x3/8 plate since they only sell 4x8 sheets.
Another place near here will sell me a piece for $50 and cut out the circle I need.

Gonna contact the place up in Athens tomorrow.

Thanks.

Pooh Bear

/ Steel prices #19  
According to my latest price sheet, my supplier would be charging me less than 1/2 (actually about 40%) of what you are paying for the same steel. However I would have to buy full length (20 ft) pieces with the first cut being free.

For example, 2" x 3/8" flat bar goes for $1.25 per foot in 20 ft lengths. 3" x 3/8" flat bar goes for $1.65 per ft in 20 ft lengths. The 2"x2"x1/4" tubing goes for $4.25 per ft in 20 ft lengths. And 2"x2"x1/4" angle is only $1.30 per ft. These prices are before any quantity discounts.

Shop around. Ask about the price for a full length. Ask about the price for cut-offs and drops. You will probably find it cheaper to buy a full length or maybe a slightly longer short cutoff piece. Having them make cuts can get expensive. Cut-offs and drops should always be cheaper because the supplier should be treating them as scrap.

/ Steel prices #20  
Most all metal prices are crazy! I have a sheet metal fab shop in Asheville, and I have never seen prices increase so rapidly. Weird stuff too...right now my cost on .063 galv (16ga.) is more than my cost on .063 alum (3003)! Channel, angle, any extrusions are even worse. Sheet copper is up over 20% in 90 days! This is before the fuel surcharges.
They all blame it on China. Apparently China is also to blame for my step-son's report card.