Home built bandsaw mill

/ Home built bandsaw mill #41  
Hey guys i've got some news:

When i got home from work there was mail from a forest machinery dealer about 40 km south. It was a German language Woodmizer leaflet. I sent a request for information to Woodmizer Germany, the main office because i did not know that there was an official importer in the Netherlands.

I called the guy on his cellphone (it was 7 p.m.) and talked with him for about 20 minutes. He was very helpful, even when i explained that i was only intending to buy sawbands and make use of the sharpening service, and build my own saw. He was willing to send me copies of the parts manuals so i could order sawband guides, wheels and other parts i might need to build a saw.

I asked him about his opinion about chainsaw mills, he used to sell them too, still offers them on request. Though due to the cost of chain, chain sharpening, refilling fuel every 15 minutes and the short lifespan of chainsaw engines, he rarely sells the chainsaw mills since he started selling Woodmizer.

The prices for bands and sharpening arent that much different to the USA prices: for a regular saw band he asked me 25.50 Euro and resharpening incl. shipment from and to Woodmizer Germany resharpening center, would be 7 euro for standard bands.

This guy was just very helpful, offered all the help i could need, and it really encouraged me to get AutoCAD running and sketch some serious plans... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Home built bandsaw mill #42  
Renze - As you could tell from my prior replies, I like the bandsaw and especially the Woodmizer. That is not to mean that they are the one and only mill out there as the rest of them have their good points too. However, this salesman, knowing you want to build your own mill and use just a small portion of what he has to offer as far as product, he is very willing to assist in anyway he can. Once again, Woodmizer didn't let me down as they assisted you in the way they treat every customer - with everything they can do to help. From what I understand from the Woodmizer mailings, almost every person who hires on with them, the first few weeks - they are given a machine setup in the outlots of their property, a pile of logs, and then they have the opportunity to run, learn, fix, repair their machine. Nothing like hands on learning.

Renze - best of luck to you in your project and please pass on pictures as your mill evolves from a scraps of iron into a working mill. Clyde

/ Home built bandsaw mill #43  
I have a 5 meter, 5" pipe around that would have been used as an antenna mast. I think it wil make a very good central frame tube for a sawmill, as it will give exceptional torsional stability. I think i will ask my boss if i can laser cut T pieces to weld on top of that to support 2 side mounted T bars mounted upside down, to act as sawcart rails. On a T bar, very little sawdust will build up so that's a good thing.

I will start with hand feed, but have a hydraulic motor with speed regulator on the shelf, which could be added later on, for power feed cut.

The saw is actually very simple and cheap but the additions like log clamps, hydraulic log rotators etcetera make them expensive, i think.

I will let the ideas sink down and rethink before i start spending money.

/ Home built bandsaw mill #44  
Clyde,

I was misreading (or misunderstanding) your posts: You said 10 hp would be enough, while i was calculating the max amount of Kw i could pull out the wire...
Anyways 10 hp is 7,5 Kw, and i just bought a used 3 phase 400 Volt 7,5 Kw electrical motor... Guess the price ??

...only 15 Euro... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I will pick it up this week and meanwhile, continue thinking...

Erik, i'm sorry for kinda capturing your thread... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Home built bandsaw mill
Renze,

No problem- I'm happy to see that I have inspired someone to build a sawmill for themselves

As I mentioned, I am working with 5 hp of electric motor power- its a bit underpowered on thick logs. I think that your 10 hp electric motor will have plenty of power- as long as you don't try to cut any 1 meter logs /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif