Tool to unstick PHD auger???

/ Tool to unstick PHD auger??? #1  

RonR

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 BX2200
I have some holes to dig next to some hedge trees and I'm fearful my auger will hook a root and screw itself down.

I figure the only way to get it out would be to disconnect the auger at the gearbox and insert a homemade tool to be able to manually spin the auger backwards to get it out.

Has anyone done this? Any pics?

I foresee a bar with a tube or shaft that will fit the auger tube. It needs to be able to slide in, so it can be removed and re-inserted if working next to a tree (or the tractor). Then a pin to pin it. And a lifting loop on top to fit a chain to it to apply up force from the 3PH or FEL as I unscrew it.

Or maybe a 48" pipe wrench and just leave it attached to the PHD and spin it out manually?????? Maybe I could weld some tubes on the auger so I could insert a shaft to back it out???

I just hate to stick it prior to a plan to get it out/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif......... THKS.
ron

/ Tool to unstick PHD auger??? #2  
Sometimes I get into dirt that's softer or easier to dig than other areas and it just buries itself faster than I expect. Usually I've been able to catch it before it's too late, but one time I burried it.

To get it out I used a large pipe wrench and just turned it out.

I had the PTO disengaged and just a littel upward preasure on the three point hitch.

It was more annoying than dificult.

Eddie

/ Tool to unstick PHD auger??? #3  
big honkin pipe wrench AND A CHEATER PIPE TO SLIDE OVER IT..... Prett much the 'defacto' auger removing tool of choice..

Soundguy

/ Tool to unstick PHD auger??? #4  
Like Eddie said! A big pipe wrench!
On my tractor, just disengaging the PTO doesn't allow the auger shaft to be turned backward, but shifting from rear PTO to mid PTO does.

OkieG

/ Tool to unstick PHD auger??? #5  
Buy a Hydraulicly driven PHD and flip it into reverse...

/ Tool to unstick PHD auger??? #6  
"I'm fearful my auger will hook a root and screw itself down."

Actually the roots usually will break the shear bolt.

/ Tool to unstick PHD auger??? #7  
Ummmm, don't count on the roots breaking the shear bolt, and by the way, when they do, that means the Auger is stuck.

What I did on ours was to weld a piece of pipe onto the top flight horizontally. I had some heavy wall probably 2" or so that fits a shovel handle.

Everybody said pipe wrench, but the odds of my wife loading a pipe wrench in the truck when she goes out is pretty slim, but I guarantee there are few landscapers out there without a shovel

I tend to do and look at things a little differently here though then most folks on here because my tractor is seldom working on my property, my wife is a landscaper so the tractor is always somewhere else.

If it always was at my property, or we did it only occasionally, the Big pipe wrench would be the ticket.

/ Tool to unstick PHD auger???
Alan,

Do you find the tube on the auger hinders the dirt flow?

Any chance you can post or email me a pic?

THKS.

Ron

/ Tool to unstick PHD auger??? #9  
We never notice it. We can grab a picture tomorrow, but it is on here somewhere already I think. Let me look a bit.

/ Tool to unstick PHD auger??? #10  
If your tractor has a ground speed PTO option simply reversing the transmission will reverse the PTO and auger.