Can I use a 10" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw?

/ Can I use a 10" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw? #1  

BloomingtonMike

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
Can I use a 10\" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw?

So I have access to a pretty much free miter saw. Can I use that as a cut off saw or do I just suck it up and buy a 14" abrasion cut off saw? I know the miter saw is not meant to be a metal tool - but darn the price is good.

Do I have limits in:
arbor size
speed
guard
what else will kill this?

I will buy the 14" Milwaukee if this falls through.

/ Can I use a 10" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw? #2  
Re: Can I use a 10\" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw?

What else will kill this?
Metal dust in the motor for one.
The bearings and motor just aren't made to take that kind of abuse.
Metal cut-off saws have a vice on them to hold the metal.
You wood chop saw won't have a vice.

If you want to take a gamble like this, go to harbor freight and get a metal cutoff saw for $50.
Save the wood working equipment for wood working.

Build yourself a power hacksaw. I am going to do that.
I found some free plans on the internet and they look real simple.

http://www.vintageprojects.com/machine-shop/power-hacksaw-plans.html

Power Hacksaw ver2

http://www.vintageprojects.com/power-tools/elect-hacksaw.pdf

If you need a motor just find a heating and air place and tell them
you want one of the old units they removed from a house.
They either have to pay to have them hauled off or let someone have them for scrapmetal.
The blower motor is perfect for stuff like this.
I have one of motors on a bandsaw rite now. Works great.

Good luck and be safe.

Pooh Bear

/ Can I use a 10" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw? #3  

Most Mitre saws are direct drive. Most small metal chop saws use a reduction gear. This maximizes the motor's available HP and reduces the cutting disk speed to something more appropriate for burning thru steel. You would have to have a very large motor to run a abrasive cut wheel thru steel. You would also run a greater risk of the blade dissentegrating during use at the higher direct drive RPM.

You might also have troubles matching the arbor to the hole in a cutoff wheel.

A direct drive mitre saw is better suited for softer materials such as wood/plastic. I do cut aluminum on mine(slowly) with a high tooth count carbide tipped blade.

/ Can I use a 10" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw? #4  

It could be sheer ignorance on my part, but I needed a temporary cut off saw recently. I bought an abrasive blade to fit my miter saw, chucked it up with no problem, and whacked off a few pieces of metal. Worked fine. Then I blew the dust off the saw and put the other blade back on. Right or wrong, it worked.

Being a bit more educated now, I would check the speed of the saw against the speed limit of the abrasive blade before doing it again. Those things can be nasty when they come apart.

Tom

/ Can I use a 10" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw?

You guys are right. For the price no sense in buring up the free miter saw when good old HF is there with editable HTML and 20% off coupons as well. I will swing by there and check a cut off saw out.

/ Can I use a 10" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw? #6  

Thanks for posing the question Mike as I have (had) similar thoughts. I have a bunch of 20 ga steel c-channel I will need to cut building my house. I'd only be cutting a piece or 2 at a time, but a lot overall.
Anyone have any thoughts about putting a regular metal cutting blade (I have an 8 in skill saw type blade) on the mitre saw for this project.
HF is not a viable option as the shippping cancels out any savings. I'd have to get a $$ saw from HD, Lowes, or one of the local suppliers.

David

/ Can I use a 10" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw? #7  

I have used an abrasive cutoff blade on my 10 in. Delta miter saw to cut metal studs. Worked ok. Know I checked for RPM and think the cutoff wheels are made for higher RPM than the saw blades.

Egon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Can I use a 10" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw? #8  

I did it with my 10" Delta miter saw also for a little while before getting a 14" Makita chop saw.
It still works but it was taking a beating.

/ Can I use a 10" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw? #9  

Similar story.

One time I cut a slug of zbrick with my table saw and an abrasive cut off wheel. Worked GREAT.

Then about a year later, the motor fizzled out. Likely all the abrasive dust it ate while cutting the brick.

I won't do that again.

ron

/ Can I use a 10" miter saw as an abrasion CO saw?

So I picked up the 10" Delta Miter saw for free today. I also went to Harbor Freight store. I checked out the chop saw. Whata pile. I even had a 20% off coupon and the priced marked at $99.99 and I decided it was not worth the $80 plus tax!. The demo had oil coming out of the motor housing?! No way. I will order the Milwaukee later this month.

Here is my new old skool Delta Miter Saw.
chopsaw.jpg