Converting wussy mount RC to manly captive pin

/ Converting wussy mount RC to manly captive pin
Update. The new and improved hog is all done and tested except for paint. I have three cans of chevy orange engine enamel for the job.

Here is the finished lower 3ph attachment point. I used the 7$ bimetal hole saw on the end of a hand drill to drill 4 of these holes. They aren't perfectly aligned but they don't need to be. The 15/16" hole saw left a 1" hole since it isn't exactly a precision instrument.

This picture also shows the lower attacment point of the top link structure. Note that I had to assure clearance for the cotter.

Attachments

• 879146-lick em 007.jpg
    879146-lick em 007.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 254
So here is the weak factory part showing how it bent. The channel is 4" so that's how much shorter my TL needed to be to be able to lift the hogs butt.

I needed to use the bent pieces to measure and lay out the replacement.

Attachments

• 879147-lick em 003.jpg
    879147-lick em 003.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 224
It wasn't easy. There are a few critical measurements and the setup took me way longer than I thought it would. I chopped off the old TL attachment point but made everything else from scratch.

Attachments

• 879148-lick em 004.jpg
    879148-lick em 004.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 204
Here it is getting test fit and finishing welds. The galvanized bars are 1.25" diameter G8 bolts that are used for luminaires. The TL structure can be much weaker in my revised design hog. I didn't get it totally straight but I was going freehand and alignment isn't critical here either.

Attachments

• 879150-lick em 005.jpg
    879150-lick em 005.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 206
Yahoo.

Attachments

• 879151-lick em 008.jpg
    879151-lick em 008.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 201
Here it is in transport mode on the tractor/trailer and at the property where the grass was nearing knee high. I stained my trailer deck too. Really lik the difference.

Attachments

• 879153-lick em 009.jpg
    879153-lick em 009.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 225
It worked.

I noticed a little more slop in the hog since it is now freer to move side to side a bit on the pins. The PTO shaft has u-joints so I can't see that being a problem. I mowed my entire wetland and grass area in about 4 hours before the rains came. The mower is now resting in the container onsite. Plan is to go out there tomorrow to box blade some of the lowland and then paint the mower.

Here's an after shot of the field.

Thanks for reading. I'll probably post again after paint.

Attachments

• 879157-lick em 021.jpg
    879157-lick em 021.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 219
Don't forget to wish me a happy birthday. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I dare you to guess my age.

/ Converting wussy mount RC to manly captive pin #29  
Happy birthday. You're 52 yrs old now, I would guess. Maybe a little younger or older??? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Enclosing the lift pins is a good idea. Glad you got it finished. Post some pics when you finish painting. So let me get this straight. You trailer your tractor everytime you drive up to the property?

Yes, trailer each time and I shoot for one day per weekend since I've got the little girls and momma to entertain. I burn about 9 gallons of gas for the round trip so I spend the whole day. Yesterday I was on the road by 6:30 and back home at 9:30. I left the generator and welder in the truck bed since I wanted to go to sleep badly.

I painted the mower but the engine enamel dried up pretty chalky. I kind of expected it to be shiny. Duplicolor engine enamel. The grass had already grown several inches since I cut it two weeks back. Looks even lusher now.

52? Wow. I was sitting on the floor indian style in 4th grade when the challenger exploded. Elvis died right about the same time I was born. My mom will be 52 in July though. I turned 29.