Converting wussy mount RC to manly captive pin

/ Converting wussy mount RC to manly captive pin #1  

Highbeam

Tractor
Kioti CK30HST
I am pretty cheap, and a newbie. I bought a lighter duty 60" Rankin brush hog for use with my 30 HP Kioti for maintaining cleared area and for clearing new area. Here's the machine in the middle of a brushhogging job.

Attachments

• 871735-lick em 003.jpg
    871735-lick em 003.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 937
   / Converting wussy mount RC to manly captive pin
Here's the business end and a photo of the problem. The Rankin uses a single black bar pinned at the hog and then up to the 3ph where it pins on from the side (lynch pins hold it on) and then up to the top link. Well as you back into brush and things to chop them up the black bars twist and bend backwards so that the hog now hangs closer to the tractor and the top link must be super short to be able to lift the back of the hog. My bottomed out top link was to the point of being unable to raise the hog high enough to let me load onto the trailer.

I never hit a stump or anything. Seemingly normal medium duty tasks were twisting the black barstock.

This single bar is a light duty design unlike the design of the woods or other better brands. I also really like the captive pin style of 3ph attachment since the 3ph arms can stay spread in place, just pull the hitch pin and switch implements.

Attachments

• 871739-lick em 010.jpg
    871739-lick em 010.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 969
This photo shows the removed culprits. 40$ apiece, I've replaced one before I decided to abandon the system.

Attachments

• 871741-lick em.jpg
    871741-lick em.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 755
Jump ahead to the solution. The brass colored pins are a whoppin 4$ apiece. The vertical bars are 1/2"x4" The triangular gussets are a crosscut 10" square of 3/8" thickness. The angle iron is 2.5"x 1/4" thick.

I copied the dimensions from my Frontier boxblade. This way I can easily swap between the two attachments.

Attachments

• 871744-lick em 027.jpg
    871744-lick em 027.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 711
Here I paused at the moment where I realized that I seriously overbuilt this thing.The welds are 6013 from the AC buzzbox, not as good as the originals of the RC and certainly didn't need to be continuous but welding is fun.

Attachments

• 871747-lick em 028.jpg
    871747-lick em 028.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 669
There will certainly be a brace extending rearward to the aft end of the angle iron on the deck to resist foldup as I back into stuff. Also, something to tie the parallel pieces of angle on the deck. The threaded piece you see between the hitch bars is a spacer to counter the shrinkage caused by too much welding. I have the bimetal hole saw bits to drill 15/16" holes for the 7/8" pins. That will be last since the metal moves so much.

I had to pause here to go to the ER. Funny thing happened. I was done for the night and needed to scoot the hog to the side of the garage. I pushed my wheeled 2-ton floor jack under it below the tailwheel and lifted that end a couple of inches which created a one wheeled point an 2 dragged points at the front. I planned to drag it back. Well I was doing OK until the jack rolled over under my left hand and the vertical edge of the deck of the hog dropped on top of that hand and crushed my fingers. One crushed broken pointer with stitches, one middle finger with 7 stitches, and one band aid. Funny to see your finger bend the wrong way. So I will have to wait a few days to finish the project.

Attachments

• 871754-lick em 031.jpg
    871754-lick em 031.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 763
   / Converting wussy mount RC to manly captive pin #7  
Geez Highbeam...you're lucky it didn't sever anything off! glad to see you're Ok with stitches and all. Looks like you were almost done with all the re-inforcement too. Post more pics when you get better.
Good luck.

/ Converting wussy mount RC to manly captive pin #8  
I see you wear a wedding ring while working.Not a very good idea when working around machinery. I had a freind who lost his finger when he got it caught between 2 pieces of equipment. the er doctor said if he hadn't been wearing the ring he wouldn't have lost the finger and also when around electical stuff a ring could burn right thru the finger. Don't mean anything sarcastic just offering a safety tip.

/ Converting wussy mount RC to manly captive pin #9  
On the subject of wedding ring injuries:

My father lost his ring finger decades ago. He was jumping down off a ladder only a few feet up. Your ring finger is not strong enough to support your body weight if the ring catches on something you thought you were letting go of.

- Rick

The ring has been an issue, kind of on principle. Of course the photos were taken after the work and after the injury but I do indeed wear my ring all the time. I don't wear the watch though which is also a very bad welding hazard. Imagine the links all welding themselves together while on your wrist and then cooking your wrist since you can't get it off? I've never had a stitch or a broken bone in my life.