Combinations box blade and pulverizer?????

/ Combinations box blade and pulverizer????? #1  

RonR

Veteran Member
Tractor
2003 BX2200
OK, guys, please tell me if I'm being Mr. Stoopid here..........

I have a 5 ft box blade, and (THANKS DANA) now own a 5 ft pulverizer roller.

In an ideal world, I'd build a 5 ft pulverizer frame, attach the roller, and have a nice pulverizer.

As I was pondering the roller, sitting next to the box blade, it hit me: WHY NOT JUST ADD THE ROLLER TO THE REAR OF THE BOX BLADE???????????????

I could easily make it adjustable to allow the rear blade to clear. And I could add provisions for the pulverizer shanks in place of the scarfiers.

Would that not give me more flexibility? I could raise the scarifiers, add the roller, and pulverize. OR I could raise the roller (or remove it via some clevis pins), drop the pulverizer shanks, and box blade.

Someone talk me out of this, PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Ron

/ Combinations box blade and pulverizer????? #2  
Hi Ron,
I'm not familiar with the pulverizer you're describing, especiall the shanks you refer to and how they would take the place of the boxblade shanks. Could you post a good photo of it so I can visualze better what you're describing? Aside from that, it sounds extremely interesting to me.
Thanks,

/ Combinations box blade and pulverizer?????
Here's a pic of a pulverizer roller

Attachments

• 878717-Woods pulverizer.jpg
    878717-Woods pulverizer.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 605
pic of shanks. Mine wouldn't be this stout.........

Attachments

• 878718-Resize of pulverizer close.jpg
    878718-Resize of pulverizer close.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 488
   / Combinations box blade and pulverizer????? #5  
Thanks for pictures Ron.
Here's my take on your idea. First, it seems the scarifiers on the boxblade and the pulverizer shanks do relatively the same thing, so that may be redundant to interchange them unless there is something I'm missing here. So I would plan on having EITHER the boxblade scarifiers OR pulverizer shanks up front, nearest the tractor.
Next in line I would want the pulverizer roller, and behind that the boxblade. My reasoning is being able cut & rip, pulverize and then move/grade it all in one pass. Mount the box on some kind of controlable hinge so you can use that feature to cut or smooth with the blade.

So you say you have the boxblade and pulverizer roller already?...But not the pulverizer shanks?...is that right? If so, consider dis-assembling your boxblade to separate the scarifier bar from the box. Mount, in some fashion, the scarifier bar in front of the pulverizer roller, then mount the box behind the roller. If you already have the pulverizer shank, use that instead of the boxblade scarifiers because the appear much more sturdy.

Well, that's my 2¢ worth...
You'd be rockin' and rollin' then...I'd love to see that.

/ Combinations box blade and pulverizer????? #6  
Ron,
I think you might have some thing here. I like your idea. The teeth could be 1/4" x 1 1/2" flat at 4" on center, a second row that will split the the first row of teeth.
DDT

Thanks Dana!

I'm thinking of making the scarifers mount to a 1/2"x4" strap, then bolt (or hopefully figure out how to pin it for faster removal/installation) that to the front and back of the beam of the box blade. That would be easier, hopefully, than welding mounts all over my box blade..............

That's taking a back burner to working on my SAILBOAT. Trying to get it refurbed and in the water............

Ron