Building A small pull pan Type scraper

/ Building A small pull pan Type scraper #1  

earthface

Building A small pull pan Type scraper

Ok here is what I would be interested in knowing.
Back in the 50's my Dad designed and built 2 different wheeded pan type scrapers. 1 2 wheeled 1 4 wheeled. They eventually went on to be commercially made machines. I have 1 of each machine the #2 2 wheeled prototype and 1 of the commercial made 4 wheeled models. I use them both esily pulled by my MF 35 38hp. I can esly move 15 yds per hour with the 2.5 yd machine.
Even by todays standards the 2 wheeled machine is an advanced design, loading from the front bottom, unloading from the back bottom both processes work very fast and are precission spotting. I also have all the building notes and all the original sketches that he made them from. The 2 wheeled machine holds 1.25 yards the 4 wheeled machine holds 2.5 yds. My question is this if I made new CAD drawings for either of these would anyone be interested in buying sets of construction drawings for either and what would be a price that someone would pay. This will be no easy task. I am open to all opinions here. Thanks

2 wheel scraper picture
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/879843-Frnt%202%20wheel%201ydcrp.jpg

4 wheel scraper picture
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forumfiles/879825-Rear%204%20Wheel%202.5%20YD.jpg

Attachments

• 879676-Frnt 2 wheel 1ydcrp.jpg
    879676-Frnt 2 wheel 1ydcrp.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 4,117
   / Building A small pull pan Type scraper #2  
Is there a patent on the scrapers?
I see drawings for sale on Ebay and the Internet. Most of the time the drawings are sold for under $20.
The scrapers sound interesting and if they can be build with out a major amount of tools and machinery I am sure that quite a few TBNers will be interested, me included.
Farwell

/ Building A small pull pan Type scraper
At the time both were patented by my Father. But have long ago expired. The 2 wheeled scraper ceased production around the early 60s the company disbaned, and no one else ever produced that scraper again and used ones of the era are scarce, they were made in up to 4 yds 6ft cut.. The 4 wheeled machine has a simuliar machine still in production smallest being 3 yds 6 ft cut much to big of a cut for a small tractor. Sells new for around $8000 USD. Either of these could be made for less than $1000 using NEW material in a home welding equiped shop with little out source work and little or no machining with the use of standard of the shelf parts. Both are hydraulic powered units.

/ Building A small pull pan Type scraper #4  
I'm probably the weird duck here, but I don't need detailed drawings and blueprints to build stuff. Now I'm talking simple designs, like drag harrows, carryall implements and such. I don't need specific dimensions generally if I know the approximate size, such as 6ft wide by 2ft deep and 2 ft high.

It's nice to know the specifics when you get to lift linkages and such, but for me anyway, some nice detailed sketches and pics would be all I'd need/want. I wouldn't want to pay for production drawings when I could get by with sketches.

But that's probably just me....................

You have something from your Dad that you can be proud of!

Ron

Me too I just build stuff from a sketch on a piece paper.
However both these scrapers have loading and dumping sequencing linkages that are quite critical in demenisional accurcy to get to work properly with out a print. And most demension changes on them will affect the linkages. These machines work so well I just thought others may be interested in them. The new cost or even the lack of commercial availablity small wheeled scrapers just about put them out of reach the small tractor user.

/ Building A small pull pan Type scraper #6  
Ron,
When I would plan a project in the past I would do detailed drawings, (back before CAD) I found that it took me more time to do the drawing than it would to build the project so I too like sketches, working models and photos.
I have an older version of Autocad and Autocad lite but never took the time to learn either one of them.
I haven't looked at the Google Drawing site yet but I have added it to my favorites.
Farwell

/ Building A small pull pan Type scraper #7  
Me too!
I'm in that see and sketch club.

On the other hand I also would be keen on such a idea, scrape and scoop as you describe and would no mind spending a few $$ to get some detailed pics but would not generally need depailed plans as I probably would modify anyhow to fit my available hydraulics or whatever wheels I
might have that would be appropriate to the project.

On the other hand reading a lot of posts on TBN I realize thet we (the see and sketch club) are in the minority judging by some of the questions and requests for more and more details pics from lots of members.

One question that I would pose is;
How much more productive would the scoop be in comparison to a FEL equipped with a tooth bar?
Also;
How efficient is it in hard material, or soil with embeded stones?
Does it have a tooth bar for the tough soils?

Even this post has got me thinking of an old horse drag scoop that I have that someone welded lift arm pegs onto the sides.
Bet I can make that into a drag scoop, but how to dump without getting off of the tractor.

Keep us posted on what you might decide to do.

OK here is a picture of the 4 wwheel scraper
(see click attachment)

Attachments

• 879825-Rear 4 Wheel 2.5 YD.jpg
    879825-Rear 4 Wheel 2.5 YD.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3,195
Re: Building A small pull pan Type scraper *DELETED*

Post deleted by earthface

/ Building A small pull pan Type scraper #10  
Someone posted a link to this from TBN a while back. I always thought this would be a cool implement IF I had a need for it.

web page

Ron