Questions about axle placement.

/ Questions about axle placement. #1  

CharlieTR

Gold Member
Tractor
Long LongTrac
I am getting ready to build my first trailer. It will be only to carry a fixed 300 gallon spray tank (round). Now just waiting on the spray tank to come in. I am not sure how I should position the axle, from front to back. Is there any formula for the axle placement. Also, I just read an older thread that talks about the top of the axle and that you need to weld a new perch if flipping the axle (under the springs). My axle came without the perch mounted. I will check again, but I don't think I saw any "top" to the axle.

Thanks for any advise.

/ Questions about axle placement.
I am getting ready to build my first trailer. It will be only to carry a fixed 300 gallon spray tank (round). Now just waiting on the spray tank to come in. I am not sure how I should position the axle, from front to back. Is there any formula for the axle placement. Also, I just read an older thread that talks about the top of the axle and that you need to weld a new perch if flipping the axle (under the springs). My axle came without the perch mounted. I will check again, but I don't think I saw any "top" to the axle.

Thanks for any advise.

/ Questions about axle placement. #3  
Champion Trailer Sales has plenty of info on building trailers and other do-it-yourself maintenance issues on their web site. Here is a link to the question you asked:

Trailer axle spacing

Rule of thumb is 60% of the trailer frame in front of the axle and 40% behind. Remember this is just a rule of thumb. Indivudual designs may vary somewhat but will be close to this.

/ Questions about axle placement. #4  
Champion Trailer Sales has plenty of info on building trailers and other do-it-yourself maintenance issues on their web site. Here is a link to the question you asked:

Trailer axle spacing

Rule of thumb is 60% of the trailer frame in front of the axle and 40% behind. Remember this is just a rule of thumb. Indivudual designs may vary somewhat but will be close to this.

/ Questions about axle placement. #5  
Check the axle for a hole for the center bolt on the springs.
You need at least 10% of the gross weight of the trailer on the tongue. A tank is hard to figure since anything less than full will have "free surface" that will change the center of gravity and the weight on the tongue. Going uphill with half a tank could result in the tongue having a negative weight, lifting on the hitch. Not good.
The only way to prevent this is to move the axle toward the back of the trailer so that there will always be weight on the tongue regardless of the amount of liquid in the tank.

/ Questions about axle placement. #6  
Check the axle for a hole for the center bolt on the springs.
You need at least 10% of the gross weight of the trailer on the tongue. A tank is hard to figure since anything less than full will have "free surface" that will change the center of gravity and the weight on the tongue. Going uphill with half a tank could result in the tongue having a negative weight, lifting on the hitch. Not good.
The only way to prevent this is to move the axle toward the back of the trailer so that there will always be weight on the tongue regardless of the amount of liquid in the tank.

/ Questions about axle placement. #7  
I was thinking the same thing. With a tank, I can't see any way to avoid negative weight on the tongue other than placing the axle at the rear of the trailer. This way, there's always weight on the tongue no matter how full/empty the tank is, or how steep the hill you're climbing is.

BR

/ Questions about axle placement. #8  
I was thinking the same thing. With a tank, I can't see any way to avoid negative weight on the tongue other than placing the axle at the rear of the trailer. This way, there's always weight on the tongue no matter how full/empty the tank is, or how steep the hill you're climbing is.

BR

/ Questions about axle placement. #9  
Bama... you relize 300 gallons is 2490lbs not including anything else.
I would do the 60/40 axle placement and use your drawbar or if your using a 3pt hitch then chain down the 3pt to keep it from rising if you get a negative pin weight.

/ Questions about axle placement. #10  
Bama... you relize 300 gallons is 2490lbs not including anything else.
I would do the 60/40 axle placement and use your drawbar or if your using a 3pt hitch then chain down the 3pt to keep it from rising if you get a negative pin weight.