Lincoln 175 or 175 Plus

/ Lincoln 175 or 175 Plus #1  

BobReeves

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 3000
The "I need a welder" thread got me pumped up to look into a mig to supplement my stick welder. The only real problem I have with the stick is trying to weld thin stuff but am thinking adding a mig will mean I can weld just about anything.

The only difference between the Lincoln 175 and 175 Plus seems to be step current adjustment or infinitely variable with the Plus.. I can get a real good deal on a 175 from a local supplier and save more than the typical 100 bucks difference. Question is... is the infinitely variable current setting that important?

Thanks

/ Lincoln 175 or 175 Plus #2  
Good looking welder, Is 5/16 heavy enough for you? And the variable part is not that critical to me, overall your getting a good welder for less than $800.
Jim

/ Lincoln 175 or 175 Plus
Apreciate the links, the search engine on the Miller site isn't working and didn't come up with anything meaningfull on the Hobart site.. Still wondering?

Jimi.. Ya along with my stick welder I think the 175 will be fine. Can get the 175T for right at $500.00 and the Plus would be closer to $700.00

/ Lincoln 175 or 175 Plus #5  
BobReeves said:
Apreciate the links, the search engine on the Miller site isn't working and didn't come up with anything meaningfull on the Hobart site.. Still wondering?

Geez, that funny. I just did a search on the Hobart forums for "sp175" and got 120 hits. I am sure one of those hits had somehing you could use to help with your decision.