Home made arena drag?

/ Home made arena drag? #11  
I have one made like that. i have two cross ties chained together about 18in apart the first one I drilled holes in and then drove about six of the steel concrete form stakes thru the tie. The stakes act like rippers on the first tie and the second one levels the dirt. A short piece of chain link behind it would probably add to it but I don't have any laying around. Here is a previous thread with some pics of mine. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67871

/ Home made arena drag? #12  
gizmo...where in sc are you? .....been looking for an old drag harrow.

/ Home made arena drag? #13  
kio_d said:
I was looking into getting an arena groomer to prep the footing for the horse arena. There are so may types to choose from. I was looking into building my own. Anyone have some ideas?

Derek
I made one that works real good for sand topsoil/clay mix. Go to my website and click on pictures you will see it. www.myersstables.com If you have a stone base under your footing this will not damage it but will do a good job harrowing and leveling the arena. If you have an indoor arena I would shy away from clay or topsoil. It gets very dusty. We use 2/3rds WASHED sand and 1/3 hardwood sawdust and treat it with Magnisium Chloride to keep it moist and dust free. Hope this helps. Glenn

/ Home made arena drag? #14  
Mike I am in Donalds regor66 has PM me for it, but if he don't come and get it you can have it.You are next in line.

/ Home made arena drag? #15  
Had trouble logging in most of the weekend. Anyway, took a trip to Donalds, SC and met Gizmo and his family. First time ever meeting a fellow TBN'er. They are fine country folks and we had a great visit. Hated to leave but my grandson was ready to go. Gizmo, thanks for the harrow and the hospitality. Gonna work on the harrow a little this week and then try to wear it out. Thanks again.

/ Home made arena drag? #16  
You are welcome enjoyed having you all here.come back and see us some times. We will go out and you can play on the 2520 .I would have fire it up but it was to hot.

/ Home made arena drag? #17  
Almost sounds like a chain or blanket harrow might work for your arena. I like them cause they can be drug points down and forward to dig agressively, down and backward for a less agressive cut and points up for finish smoothing. I have also used them on Gravel over the years(as I do now for my drive). I just bought a new mat(6' X 4') for $220 from Rankin. To this mat you connect a pipe with eyes welded on it and chain to tow it with from the drawbar. I use a boom on the 3PH to lift the whole thing off the ground for turning around and for transport. You can see one like I use at this link under "Blanket Harrows":

http://www.rankineqco.com/pdf/harrows.pdf

I like the look of their lift frame they sell to go along with their Blanket harrows and may build one similar. I use the boom from my PHD to lift mine now which works OK and is already paid for:).

I have also made finish/smoothing drags out of a piece of pipe and a section of chain link fence. These work well on a sand/loose arena surface, are simple and inexpensive to make and roll up pretty small around the pipe for easy storage.

/ Home made arena drag?
Thanks for the great ideas.

/ Home made arena drag? #19  
kio_d said:
I was looking into getting an arena groomer to prep the footing for the horse arena. There are so may types to choose from. I was looking into building my own. Anyone have some ideas?

Derek

I've seen everything from telephone pole with chain link fence around it.. to old bedframes.

lotsa people use a pasture drag.

really depends ont he areena material.. and the horses you run. if ya got million dollar equines.. one o fthe rotary spendy job$ may be needed.

For weed puller-pasture ornaments like I have.. drag harrow works fine..

Soundguy

/ Home made arena drag? #20  
Years ago old bedframes is what ever one use .And they do work good , Put a little weight and they work better.