Home made arena drag?

/ Home made arena drag? #1  

kio_d

Tractor
Kioti DK45s
I was looking into getting an arena groomer to prep the footing for the horse arena. There are so may types to choose from. I was looking into building my own. Anyone have some ideas?

Derek

/ Home made arena drag? #2  
Depends somewhat on the material. Our arena is dirt - black dirt with clay. I use a row cultivator to break it up about 4" down and behind that I pull a section of an old spike drag harrow to break up the clods and level it out. Does a great job and it's cheap. I usually make 1 or 2 passes and it's good to go.

If you're talking sand, there are some expensive ones available like the TR3, arena ripper, and more. You could fab a facsimile of one of those.

One of our neighbors has a really nice King Kutter pulverizer - basically it's got two rows of spikes followed by 2 spiked drum rollers. Leaves a great surface.

The really simple approach would be to fashion a drag with spikes on it, but in my case, I needed it to go down deeper.

LAXPatrick

/ Home made arena drag?
Our ring is a sand/clay mix 80/20. I was thinking of making one out of railroad ties/spikes and maybe chainlink trailing to fluff and level. Not sure on the exact design.

Eventually I'd like to purchase something nicer. I've seen some that have water tanks that prep the ground and spray water to control the dust.

/ Home made arena drag? #4  
I started with a King Kutter s-tine culitvator and added a small blade onto the back. This works very well grooming the outdoor riding ring we have. I have since painted everything black. The only thing I am thinking of is adding 2 or 3 additional tines to reduce the spacing.

It looks like I may have to use the rototiller once or twice a year. That may be happening soon as the rain we have had has packed the ring.

Gerry

/ Home made arena drag? #5  
I have an old spike drag harrow you could have . If you were not so far off. They work real good.

/ Home made arena drag? #6  
i made a drag that looks like an arena-vator wife loves it uses spring tines and has an adjustable blade to set depth and a roller on the back. very happy with how it turned out.. jon

/ Home made arena drag?
Thanks for the offer Gizmo36 S.C. Is a bit of a haul for me. That Arena-Vator looks pretty simple. Do they sell those spring tines at the tractor supply? An arc welder is the next toy I'm looking into. I have an old disc that I can scavenge the framework.

/ Home made arena drag? #8  
i bought the tines from the john deere dealer but i think i saw them when i went to tsc, i also think i saw them at fleet farm when i went to visit my sis in minnesota... jon

/ Home made arena drag? #9  
here is my drag just finished it 2 weeks ago real dirty now i have to take it apart and paint or powder coat it

Attachments

• 100_3442 (Small).JPG
    100_3442 (Small).JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 13,104
   / Home made arena drag? #10  
another

Attachments

• 100_3443 (Small).JPG
    100_3443 (Small).JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 9,957