farm/home based propane refill station?

/ farm/home based propane refill station? #1  

JohnnyDark

Bronze Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 535
anyone out there have a fill station on their farm, home?needing to fill 20 lb tanks and taking them into town will be too much inconvience. wondering how to affordably set it up? not wanting to cut on safety, just on the cost. this will only be used by me. thanks, johnny

/ farm/home based propane refill station? #2  
I have a 500gal propane tank w/ a wet line that I use to fill my grill tanks and a couple of leftover 2cyl JDs that are LP. If I remember correctly, the wet line and enough fittings/adapters to fill all my stuff was about $250 but that includes some labor since I was working 7-12's at the time and just payed to have it done. The tank I still lease from the propane company but will probably buy shortly. Seems I have seen them advertised for ~ $1 to $1.50 per gallon capacity. But I haven't followed up on the ads to know the age/condition of the tank. My current propane dealer wants close to $2.00 per gallon capacity for my current tank. Once again, we are trusting my memory on all this.

/ farm/home based propane refill station? #3  
Should be no problem to lease one like HUDR said. Last time I checked it was $7.00 per month but I did not price purchasing one. Still lots of old tractors around here with propane tanks and the farmers put there filling tanks on wheels and tow them from field to field.

/ farm/home based propane refill station? #4  
If what I've been told is correct, you will need a bulk tank with a built-in port for the wet line ... as opposed to a "standard" domestic tank that does not have the port, and then trying to add the port. I don't think you can add-on the port. So, for me, I'll have to get another tank, with a wet valve, if and when I want the capability.

/ farm/home based propane refill station?
thanks for all the tips. the first supplier thought about it for a couple of days and then said he couldn't help me. next company i spoke with said they would put the tank in for free and i just buy the gas. he said they would install a complete system ,hose, the works. thought that was a pretty good deal, later, johnny

/ farm/home based propane refill station? #6  
Johnny,
I have used an LP tractor for many years, and I have always rented the tank that I refill the tractor from. The advantage to this is that when I need the filler hose replaced, the propane dealer sends his service man to do it. I have an adapter that I can refill 20 lb. bottles with, but I haven't tried one of the newer bottles on it. I think they may have changed something on them to prevent do-it-yourselfers from refilling bottles.
Anyway, when I refill mine I'm only guessing at the proper amount to refill them. They say never go over 80%, but I don't have a scale.
Butch