powder coating on galvanized tubing

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #1  

tanglefoot

Silver Member
I'm planning to build a baby bed for my grandbaby using 1" tubing, but the only kind I've found that bends like I want it to is electrical conduit. Will the galvanized coating take a powder coat, or will it crack loose and peel?
Butch

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #2  
Your better fence manufacturers first galvanize and then powdercoat if that helps.

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing
Thanks, Harv. Hey I was in your part of the country the other day. I went to St. Paul to buy a used pipe bender. It looks hot and dry there, same as it is around Wolfe City.
Butch

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #4  
Welding galvanized metal is very toxic!! Doesn't weld worth a hoot either.

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #5  
I would check and see if zinc is an acceptable material for children's furniture. Most any type of plated metal is not recommended for bird cages because of toxicity, that is why I would check.

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #6  
Galvanized metal is paintable - but only after it's been exposed to the elements for years. I recently built a set of horse stalls using 1" box salvaged that was galvanized. I did some research on the web and found that information. Paint's been on for about 9 months with zero chipping, etc. But this metal was probably galvanized about 20 years ago...

As far as welding - DO NOT breathe the fumes. If you can put in the time, use a flap disk on an angle grinder (using a respirator is a good idea here too) to prep your weld surface plus a bit extra for the heat transfer.

LAXPatrick

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #7  
Any galvinized material that makes it into my shop either has a specific need for the coating, or is on its way to the recycler. I won't mess with it.

I would also recommend highly that you keep searching for something else for this project. I'd hate to hear, down the road, that your grandbaby has health problems because of it.

Have you considered bending plain tubing hot?

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing
Yes, my plan now is to use ERW .065 and bend it hot. There won't be any galvanized material used in this project.
Butch

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #9  
Good to hear!

As a side note & good example:

I was making up some floorboard patches for my stepdaughters car yesterday & grabbed a piece from my pile of tin. My usual trick for quickly removing paint is to simply run the torch over it for a second or two, then hit it with a wire brush. I got a small dose of zinc fumes before I realized what was happening & felt like throwing up all evening. I was really glad I had the big door open when I realized the smoke was white. Tomorrows projects now include sorting that pile of tin & getting rid of anything I don't trust.

/ powder coating on galvanized tubing #10  
I have welded a lot of galvanized. It is harder to get a decent weld by a large factor and the risks of breathing the toxic fumes is something to be taken into consideration. I use a decent fan blowing across the work side to side to break the convection currents which will, if left undisturbed, unerringly curl up and into your welding shield/helmet. I now have a 240 volt spot welder which does fairly serious gauge galvanized quickly, easily, and with less exposure to toxic fumes.

If welding galvanized can not be conveniently avoided at least take reasonable precautions such as a respirator mask and ventilating fan.

Powder coat works well on galvanized.

There are a lot of old wives tales, well intentioned good ole boys, and misinformation floating around about painting galvanized. You may hear about lemon juice, vinegar, and who knows what all. Galvanized can be painted successfully and without "aging" it for years.

As with most painting the three most important things are: 1. Prep, 2. Prep, and 3. Prep. There are industrial coating companies that make primers formulated just for Galvanized and done right you can paint galvanized as successful as painting anything else. I emphasize DONE RIGHT. Galvanized is less forgiving of errors in prep and application but it isn't Rocket Surgery! Nor is it Brain Science!

Primers for galvanized (like the paints formulated to go on over rust with no primer) is still filtering down the food chain and at least one brand was on the shelf at Lowe's this year. I'm pretty sure it was Rustoleum brand, I have a couple quarts in the downstairs shop.

I haven't used the Rustoleum yet. Previously my research for proper materials found only very expensive ones in 5 gal min sizes. Before I retired if something needed painting I just specified it needed proper painting and let the "process" take care of it. Now I have to DIY and don't want 5 gal buckets of expensive primer I have little use for. I have had great success over the decades with Rustoleum products and am confident their galvanized primer will git 'er done if I do my part right. And... They sell it by the quart!

I have a significant amount of galvanized flashing exposed on the new house at the many dormers and such. the galvanized stands out in contrast to my shingles like a diamond shining in a goat's -ss. I will be priming it with the galvanized primer and topcoating with a color coat more resembling the saturation and hue of my shingles. Similarly I have a rectangular box in plain sight on the roof. It is aluminum and houses a remoted range hood blower. It too will get primed and painted, even though I have heard tell, "you can't paint aluminum."

patrick_g