I found a great deal on a welder I think?

/ I found a great deal on a welder I think? #1  

stevenf

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota M9000
Hi everybody, I know you get tired of answering the same questions but PLEASE comment on my find, I plan on buying it as soon as Home Depot opens in the morning barring any reason why not. Home Depot is having a 20% off sale and they have a Lincoln AC/DC 225-125 model number K1297 on sale that was already marked down the final cost is $309.60 + tax. I've been dreaming of a AC/DC welder since a discussion on them months ago, I have virtually no experience with any type of welder but this one seems to fit the bill. Can anyone tell me what the thickest metal I can weld would be with this machine? Is this a good model to be looking at for a absolute novice welder? I know most of you recommend taking a welding course and trying different models but the sale only last until the weekend and the local store only has two of them so if figure buy it first and then enroll in a course since it looks like the closest web price is around $400. I don't think its a kit so I'll have to run to Harbor freight and buy an auto darkening hood but they have them on sale often, hopefully right now so I can unbox it and try it out. What rod would be a good generic type to use for most implements and tractor type welding. Would you use AC or DC just starting out? Any other questions that I haven't asked that you find important to know please share them. I'll be using the welder at the house and have the ability to wire in the plug myself, I have a choice of either my utility room or the pole shed for my plug to achieve a 240 volt power source without running new cable providing it requires 50 amps or less.
Thanks to anyone that responds.
Steve

/ I found a great deal on a welder I think? #2  
heckuva deal!! I'd jump on that immediately!!!

I searched every local Home Depot but they did not have the AC/DC version in stock, only the AC. So I ordered mine from Home Depot online a few months ago for $385 plus tax, shipping was free.

I'm happy with it so far, I've had a Lincoln wire-feed for ten or twelve years so I believe reliability will be good.

As far as thickness of metal, I believe in AC that it can run a 3/16 rod so you can go pretty thick with that in a single pass. With proper joint preparation you can weld most anything that would be needed around the home or farm, though multiple passes will be required. Let's face it though, how often do we really need to weld 2" thick plate at home? Most everything I anticipate will be 1/2 thick or less, with some occassional 3/4 or 1 inch...this welder will meet those needs just fine. And striking the arc in DC was very easy.

I too bought the Auto Darkening hat from HF. After years of the old-fashioned type, I gotta say the AD feature is great!! No more fumbling with the rod trying to strike the arc at the proper starting point.

/ I found a great deal on a welder I think? #3  
P.s. The welder didn't include the hood but it DID include the receptacle, and of course the leads, clamp and stinger.

/ I found a great deal on a welder I think?
Bill Thanks for replying its great to have someone with the same machine that I'm looking at respond. I know darn little about welders enough to maybe plug it in but not enough to know how to turn it on. I helped my uncle weld me up a trailer a couple of years back but helping move stuff around and hold stuff while someone else does the work is a tough way to learn especially since he had only one hood so I couldn't actually see him weld anything just the finished product. Its also nice to know it'll weld 1" if it has to since I've got some old 1" stock laying around to play with but your right most of my implements are 1/2" or less metal.
Mad, Thanks for the link to the Lincoln web site.
Steve

/ I found a great deal on a welder I think? #6  
I would jump on it too. I have the AC-only version and think the AC/DC will be easier for you to learn and more quickly get to using it. I'm in no hurry, so am keeping my eyes open for a used one. Good find!
Cheers!

/ I found a great deal on a welder I think? #7  
Good deal! After hearing soo many "great choice if you're going to own only one welder" comments, I bot and learned on one last year. AC/DC is the snitz, just do it!

/ I found a great deal on a welder I think?
Thanks Again everybody as of this morning I'm the proud new owner of a Lincoln Welder and for anybody within an easy drive of Boerne Texas the Home Depot there has one left.
Steve

/ I found a great deal on a welder I think? #9  
Congrats once you get it plugged in you will want

auto helmet
welding gloves
6010 & 7018 1/8 rods
c clamps
vice grip clamps
several grinders 1 for each wheel type
a steel cutter of some type
raw stock

Then you are going to want a welding table for smaller stuff.

I refurbed an old Miller 200 amp ac/dc gas engine welder after an old uncle last year. This plus a gas torch is handy to have.

/ I found a great deal on a welder I think? #10  
"I know darn little about welders enough to maybe plug it in but not enough to know how to turn it on"

On mine there is an on/off seitch just like the light switch on your walls. :)

Good find on that welder, I have AC only and would really like the AC/DC for OP welds. How thick can it weld is a funny question. In one pass it can weld 1/2" material with very good penetration but with more than one pass I have welded 1" thick bar stock using 1/8" rod. Home depot sells Lincoln welding rod in 1/8" and 3/32" sizes here in my town and I haven't found anything too thick for the 1/8" rod. I have an easier time making a nice weld with the 6013 but I have been told to try 6011 next time.

There is a reason that HD only carries those sizes and only a couple of rod types, they are the most common and versatile rods.

Oh and I really like my harbor freight AD welding helmet. I still have the old Lincoln non auto hood for neighbors and friends to watch and learn how to weld. I own welding gloves but don't use them unless the piece I am welding on needs to be handled right away. Even black metal can be dang hot.

50 amps is more than enough. You really only need like 30.