Chainsaw Scabbards - table

/ Chainsaw Scabbards - table #1  

GuglioLS

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, 1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee, Komatsu Bulldozer
My Wife and I cut firewood for us to keep warm by the fire in the winter.

We use the Jinma tractor & our ATV to climb a very steep hill on our property this gives us access to our forest. The woods is way over grown and also has lots of dead down trees as well.

I use the Jinma to pull the trailer and my wife uses the ATV to get up the hill with all the saws, gas, oil, tools & refreshments.

Trouble was, we take 3 saws and there was no good room for them in the ATV trunk. When we had the trailer loaded up with wood there was no room in the trailer for the saws.

So this leads me up to how I solved the problem.

I took some 1/2" scrap plywood I had that was taking up room in my shop and cut it up to make these Chainsaw Scabbards.

Then I got the bright Idea as to, well why not make the scabbards a little table to set the saw on so I could gas & oil them up as well as tighten and sharpen the chain.

So rummaged around and found some old door hinges.

Here is the result:

/ Chainsaw Scabbards - table
Now that seems to work pretty good.

But then I have to figure out how to support the scabbard so that it can be turned into a table.

here is what I did:

If one works that good, then three of them would be aw-sum. Then build a little box for the gas & oil while your at it.

So there you go, this was yesterdays Saturday afternoon project. It took me about 4 hours total. And solved years of frustration and future spilled bar chain oil cleanup from inside the ATV trunk.

/ Chainsaw Scabbards - table #4  
Great looking invention.I think I will make something like that to hold mine on the tractor, I have been known to set the sqaw down and back over it.:eek:
Al

/ Chainsaw Scabbards - table #5  
Any problem with the ATV, coming down that steep hill, when the trailer is full of wood? I've got a smaller trailer for my ATV and often wondered if I could manage a bigger one with all the hills on my property.

Like the saw racks. May do one on the box one the back of my ATV.

Onthesauk said:
Any problem with the ATV, coming down that steep hill, when the trailer is full of wood? I've got a smaller trailer for my ATV and often wondered if I could manage a bigger one with all the hills on my property.

It's been REAL scarry coming down that hill on the ATV with the trailer loaded. I once weighed all the wood in the load on a bathroom scale a few logs at a time. It weighed in (just the wood) at 1100 pounds. The ATV is rated to pull 1200 - of cource this is on a flat surface. I don't use the ATV to haul down the wood anymore I think my luck doing that was goint to run out real soon. I now use the 4WD tractor to haul down the wood. I still use the ATV and trailer to haul down a full load of wood chips and that is not scarry.
The trailer is about 4'x6' with 16" sides. We load it way over the top.

If you have good solid firm packed ground you would be supprised how well it handles going down hill. In my case the path we us for going up / down is now loose dirt with tons of loose scatterd rocks. So it is not very sure footed anymore. The tractor does not slip a bit and weighs about 4500#'s as compared to the ATV @ 800#'s. When I use the tractor I don't even feel the trailer is attached let alone fully loaded with 1100#'s of wood.

Bedlam said:
Great looking invention.I think I will make something like that to hold mine on the tractor, I have been known to set the saw down and back over it.:eek:
Al

Al,

Thanks for the compliment. I have destroyed two cordless phones by placing them on top of the rear tractor tire then driving off and crushing them into the ground. New rule to self, nothing gets placed on the tires, period, not even for a second not even my gloves.

Backing over a saw, now that's not a good thing, not at all.

/ Chainsaw Scabbards - table #8  
Gug,
Like I said, great stuff you do....
Bedlam said:
Great looking invention.I think I will make something like that to hold mine on the tractor, I have been known to set the sqaw down and back over it.:eek:
Al
I left them in the bucket and "scooped" on the way up to the saw site... then dumped...guess what? Not good.

/ Chainsaw Scabbards - table #9  
Very nice project Larry, something alot of us need. I'll be looking into that myself.

/ Chainsaw Scabbards - table #10  
Good idea. :D

sure beats carrying the chain saw in the bucket.